GO!

Stiff neck?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bullet

It's all about- ME . . .

Barked: Tue Sep 19, '06 7:28am PST 
My dog is 10 yrs old. Last night, all of the sudden, he couldn't lower his head to pick a cookie off the floor. At first I thought it was his eyes, as he pawed the cookie closer to him, but couldn't seem to lean over to pick it up. He was no better this morning, and couldn't pick up the paper to bring it in, as he does every day. He still wants to eat and drink, and walk, and has no apparent problems with stool or urine. His eyes seem to be fine, as he saw a cat on our walk about 50 feet away under a bush. He has not whimpered or cried when I massage his neck, back, and legs. I placed his water bowl on a stool so he could reach it with ease today, and plan on taking him to the vet tonite. He is not overweight, gets no table food, and gets regular exercise. Has anyone had a similar experience? Could he have pulled a muscle, resulting in the sudden restriction in movement? Does arthritis set in that quickly? Or is this indicative of something more serious? I am stressed out about this; he is so sweet, and I can't stand to think of him suffering. Any feedback would be appreciated.
[notify]
Otto-San

Samurai Warrior- Dog

Barked: Tue Sep 19, '06 8:33am PST 
I know what you mean about the stress - it's hard when we want to help our pets but they can't communicate in words w. us. I think you've done all you can at this point - you've made the vet appt - take it from there.
ps. what a beautiful animal he is!
[notify]
Mrs. Trudy

No Snoop Left- Behind

Barked: Tue Sep 19, '06 8:57am PST 
Yeah, it's a good idea to have it checked out by a vet. It could just be a muscle spasm, but it could be other things too. Good luck and if you get a chance, let us know how it goes.
[notify]

babyhuey(in- memory- of..5/8/06)

did you say- walk?

Barked: Tue Sep 19, '06 10:51am PST 
not to alarm you but huey's symptoms began just the same. he had a stiff neck. we treated for the neck and then went back to take xrays...they were going to have to anesthetize him for this so ran a blood screen. his kidney values were grossly elevated and there was nothing they could do for him. huey was only 11 and had previously been extremely healthy. i'd take your pup to the vet and ask them to run a general blood panel. i hope it's just a stiff neck and i'll be thinking of you. paws...huey's mom
[notify]
Mrs. Trudy

No Snoop Left- Behind

Barked: Wed Sep 20, '06 8:50am PST 
How's Bullet doing? Any better?
[notify]
Bullet

It's all about- ME . . .

Barked: Wed Sep 20, '06 9:03am PST 
To Otto-San, Trudy, and Baby Huey, and their People -

I just got the results back from Bullet's bloodwork, and everything looks GOOD. Phew. I appreciated the heads-up from Baby Huey's mom . . . I lost my last dog (who, as a strange coincidence, had a nickname Baby Huey . . . ) at 16 due to renal failure , but with different symptoms. After running internet research, cross referencing renal failure with the neck problem (also B.H.'s symptoms), I saw that this was a potential symptom for ARF. By the time I got to the vet's, I was in a full-blown panic. The vet assured me he didn't have the other classic symptoms, and reminded me that older dogs get aches and pains just like we do. I had him run the bloodwork anyway, which he said was a good idea, so we would have a base-line for future consultations. Then the overnight wait for blood results. Looooong nite, loooong morning. But things look good, and I am sooooooo very happy.

Thank you all for your caring and kind support. Just like Bullet, I Love Dog People!!!

~Bullet's Mom
[notify]
Mrs. Trudy

No Snoop Left- Behind

Barked: Wed Sep 20, '06 10:09am PST 
Whew is right! That is good news. I'm curious as to whether or not they took xrays? How is Bullet feeling...any better?
[notify]
Bullet

It's all about- ME . . .

Barked: Wed Sep 20, '06 10:48am PST 
Trudy - Actually Bullet IS acting much better than yesterday/last night (maybe faking it to avoid another trip to the dreaded vet's . . .). No, no xrays were taken; the vet did a series of physical tests and said to watch him a couple days to see if it passed before we put him through that. Believe me, getting blood out of him was stressful enough. The cooler weather helped this morning too - he HATES warm weather.

Thanks Trudy!
[notify]
babyhuey(in- memory- of..5/8/06)

did you say- walk?

Barked: Wed Sep 20, '06 11:28am PST 
we're so happy to hear it's not the dreaded renal failure. we were thinking of you at this end and worried. huey's symptoms didn't fit renal either and we treated for a week for the neck before we checked blood so i'm really happy you got the blood tests done. paws....
[notify]
Mrs. Trudy

No Snoop Left- Behind

Barked: Wed Sep 20, '06 5:24pm PST 
Glad to hear he is feeling better. Thanks for keeping us updated. I think mommy was worried because she had a dog named Floppy before who had a sore neck. Bullet reminded her of Floppy. Speedy recovery Bullet!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2