GO!

Do it yourself anal glands...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rocky-Rehomed, we miss you!

#1 poopy eater

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 7:08pm PST 
Okay, Rocky is scooting up a storm lately and he is the first dog that I have ever had that seems to have butt problems...

He also won't let get close to him besides people he gets used to for a long time and even then he gets snappy. I don't want to scare the crap out of him by having a vet do this to him.

If I have never done it before, should I try it? It kind of grosses me out, but I don't want him to be uncomfortable.
[notify]
Otis

Ahh so you wanna- play huh? Bring- It!

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:00pm PST 
Hmm i myself don't do it, but the breeder where we bought Otis did it all the time to her dogs and she recommended doing it as well.

I dunno...I had never heard of it before and I think if your dog is fine then don't bother but that is just my personal opinion, I don't know much about it at all.
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:22pm PST 
You should have your vet do it, if your vet is willing like mine was he/she will take the time to show you how to do it correctly. It's not fun for the dog or for you either......it's really gross and it stinks.

But if you want to save money and a trip to the vet, learn how to do it.
[notify]

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:26pm PST 
They can do that at the vet or groomers. I had to have the *snap* *snap* *ooof* done once. The vet offered to show Mom how to do it herself but she opted for taking me in if I need it again.

I'm not sure what the dangers of doing this yourself if you're not sure how to...um....approach the situation. Maybe you could try it at the vet's office while they walk you through it? They also might be able to do it quicker than your Mom so you won't notice the intrusion as much.

Smoke, Option #2....muzzle....sedation....lifetime of treats to make up
[notify]
Jade

daddys girl

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:30pm PST 
I wouldnt want to empty them myself. Or at least have a vet
show you how to do it. It sure stinks! Anyone know what causes
it. Why some dogs need it done and some dont. Just wondering.
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:33pm PST 
I don't know what causes it, and I only had to do it a few times TD!
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 10:28pm PST 
A common cause of anal gland problems are poops that are consistently too soft. Hard, firm poops will naturally express the anal glands when the dog poops, so it doesn't all build up and cause problems.
[notify]