GO!

Annual shots side-effects?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Boo Radley

I'm so cute. - I'm so tiny.

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 6:20pm PST 
Hi, Boo got his shots tonight and everytime he gets them he gets really tired and cranky for two days. Sometimes he can't climb stairs or is lacklustre in general. He usually gets basic, bordetella and rabies. Tonight he just got basic and bordetella as his rabies is good for 3 years. Will watch him to see if he gets cranky and tired.

Anyone else have their dog go down for the count for a few days after shots? Is it a little dog thing?

Boo and Ma
[notify]
Pearl

Save Lives! Spay- and Neuter!

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 7:07pm PST 
There is a lot of controversy over annual vaccinations. Protocols are changing. It is not uncommon to have side effects and some can be life threatening. The adjuvents they use can cause reactions and one of them is mercury based.
My guardian doesn't like to do them annually but sometimes because she has to go away she had to do it because we are boarded. The silly places think that dogs that are vaccinated can't pass on diseases. They can certainly carry them even if they don't get the symptoms.
My humble opinion is that they are sometimes a money maker for the vets and most assuredly for the manufacturer. Not much liability as dogs and cats are considered property so 'damages' are small even if the dog or cat dies, unlike if it was a person. So it is a win/win situation. That's my guardian speaking there and she's had a bad day so she's a bit cranky.

Anyway, here are a couple of links on vaccines.
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/vacci01.htm
http://www.new s.wisc.edu/8413.html
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:20pm PST 
It could affect any size dog. Howlever, small dogs seem to have more problems. Especially with bad allergic reactions. Mom asked a bunch of questions when I was getting my first puppy shots.

One was about the frequency. We found out I don't get all the shots every year. They are different cycles for them.

The other was about the shot itself. When I got my first Bordatella shot....DOG ALIVE! Did that burn my bee-hind! That one hurt and I didn't know what was going on. It also made me tired.

Mom watched the vet get the shots ready and noticed that it was a set amount. She asked if the shots went by dog size (Gretchen was getting shots at the same time). He said that all dogs, regardless of size, get the same dosage. *shocking gasp of horror*

Mom couldn't see how a 2.1 lb puppy should get the same dosage as an 80 lb big dog! So that may contribute to the fact that a lot more little dogs have issues with shots. A much bigger dose per body weight than for bigger dogs.

Smoke, hates shots in the bee-hind
[notify]

♥- Messina- ♥

pit bull kisses- comin' your way!

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:42pm PST 
Annual vaccines don't need to be ANNUAL anymore. Its a great way for vets to make money...and lots of it.

I vaccinate my dog once every three-four years. Its not necessary to do it more frequently than that....vaccines are not good for your dog's health.
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 10:22pm PST 
Hi Boo!

There was a recent thread about annual vaccinations here. My response (which has some links with lots of info) is on the second page of that thread.

Education is very important in regards to vaccinations. So many pet owners do them, thinking they are completely harmless, when in fact they can cause harm. Immediate, intense reactions are relatively rare, but chronic problems are actually very common (and, I will even go as far as to say that I believe that any and every vaccination will cause some problems).

There's so much information out there about vaccinations, both for people and for pets. I just wish that vets handed out pamplets with that information, so people would know the problems that can develop. Just like vets are now required to provide information about the hazards of NSAIDs to pet owners (at least, last I heard), I believe that vets should have to provide information about the hazards of vaccines too.

Fudge hasn't had any vaccinations since we adopted her at 3.5 months old. She had her puppy shots (DHLPP) at the shelter. She's had demodectic mange twice since then--once at the shelter, and once after she came home with us. I have no doubt that the vaccinations (the first of which was given at the way-to-early age of about 6.5 weeks, if our guess of her birthday is right) contributed to her depressed immune system, which allowed her to succumb to the mange mites.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 10:34pm PST 
What about dogs that spend a lot of time outside in the country? I'm trying to learn more about vaccinations and looking into the 3 year vaccination. I'm just paranoid because I have always been told that my dogs need them and I would feel horrible.. possibly even suicidal.. if my dogs caught something that a vaccine could have prevented.

Maybe I've been brainwashed.. that's why I want to know more.
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 10:51pm PST 
Kaiser, if it helps settle your mind any, my vet (and most of the ones in my area, I believe) recommend vaccinations every three years for adult dogs. Three-year vaccinations are -exactly- the same as annual ones (in regards to what's in them), it's just that the trials were only one year long for the annual ones. It wasn't that the vaccinations became ineffective after a year, it's just that they stopped the trials at that point. So they can say the vaccines last at least a year--but in reality, they last a whole lot longer. In my not-so-professional opinion (though I have done tons of research on this issue), I believe that once immunity to a disease is formed, that immunity exists for life. Unfortunately, lots of initial puppy vaccinations are given when the mother's antibodies are still in the puppy's blood, which will kill the disease in the vaccine without allowing the dog to form its own immunity. This is why puppy vaccinations are given (usually) three times in a span of a month or so--it's basically a guessing game, and they're guessing when the maternal antibodies will stop being effective.

And just so you know, there are plenty of dogs who "catch" diseases that they were vaccinated for. Vaccinations are not full-proof. It's the body's response to the disease in the vaccine that creates immunity, not the vaccine itself. So if the dog's immune system just wasn't up to the task of developing immunity when the vaccination was given, then basically the vaccine didn't "work".

Check out this link from the AVMA website. I quote: "While annual vaccinations have been highly successful in curbing disease, the one-year revaccination frequency recommendation found on many vaccine labels is based on historical precedent, not scientific data." Also, "Revaccination of patients with sufficient immunity doesn't add measurably to their disease resistance, and unnecessary revaccination may increase the risk of adverse postvaccination events in some animals."

Titer testing is becoming more common nowadays. This site explains what titer tests can and can't measure. They measure the amount of antibodies for a certain disease that's in the dog's blood. It's important to realize, though, that antibodies are formed whenever the dog is exposed to the disease, but presence of them doesn't necessarily mean the dog is "immune". Conversely, absence of antibodies does not mean that the dog is not immune, it just means that the dog was not recently exposed to the disease. Antibodies do not stick around in the blood if they are not needed. If immunity exists, there are "memory cells" that will create antibodies if the disease appears again.

I do believe titers are useful if the test is taken about two weeks after a vaccination. Then, you know the dog was recently exposed to the disease, and can see if antibodies were created. If so, you can probably assume that immunity has been formed. Titers can also be useful after the dog recovers from a natural disease, to see if he/she is now immune.

I'm not sure if I really addressed any of your concerns, but I hope this will help you to read more. Really, nothing I say shouldn't be taken as gospel, as a lot of this is interpretation of the facts that are out there. You have to do your own research and come to a decision that you're comfortable with. I am comfortable with not vaccinating at all (and I believe that dogs that were never vaccinated end up much healthier as adults--and plenty of these dogs do exist, though they're not common), but I know that not everyone will be comfortable with that decision.

Wow, I sure can ramble, can't I? I wonder if there's a limit to how long messages can be on here. smile

Edited to add: This link from the AVMA news is also very interesting. It shows how many vets vaccinate more than officially recommended by the AVMA.

Edited by author Tue Sep 12, '06 11:00pm PST

[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 8:54am PST 
Hey Boo! Howl are you doing today? I hope that shot in the bee-hind isn't making you feel bad.

Smoke, *poking* in on Boo
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 9:03am PST 
My mom talked vaccinations over with her vet and decided to do only the rabies shot every three years, and titer for distemper (check the blood level for antibodies) annually.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 9:13am PST 
Awww Boo sweetie pops. Hope you are feeling better today. Lots of small dogs get reactions to shots especially distemper and boy do I get a reaction. For about 12 hours I am in real pain, no-one can even touch me without me screaming. Mummy had to prop me up on fleecy blankies this time because I was wanting to sleep but couldn't lay down because my side was hurting so much and I only wanted to eat ice chips. I was well enough that night to be picked up (ever so gently) and taken to bed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3