GO!

Dog safe Cat litter...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cyprus

Cypranius King- of Quinn

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 12:08pm PST 
Ok, half of you probably are reading this because you think i've lost my mind! those of you with cats might understand though!

we have one cat, and we use a multicat 'clay' litter. (you know, the kind that clumps and kicks up dust).

the problem is, our great dane puppy likes to 'eat the cat poop' sometimes. we don't think it's diet related, more like a 'because i can'. we have a box w/a lid and have turned the box so the dog can't 'get into it' but the cat is getting bigger, and wont be able to get into himself in a couple of months. (with the way we have it turned) so eventually, it'll have to be turned back around. hopefully cyprus will be over his obsession by then, but if not.....

does anyone know of a litter that is 'safe' if ate? we are going to do our best not to let him eat it! but it's hard watching him ALL the time. with the way that stuff clumps, i'm afraid it's going to clog him up. plus, i'm sure all the dust it kicks up isn't good for the cat in that inclosed box.

any suggestions? we don't have many options on a place to put the box, the dog and cat both can go wherever they want. maybe we'll be lucky and cyprus' head will get to big to fit in the litterbox hole! lol
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 1:10pm PST 
Oh dear, it's not as though you can even put the tray up high with a Great Dane is it! Clumping cat litters can be harmful if eaten in large doses. Here is something I found

"Many scoopable cat litters contain bentonite clay and/or silica. The bentonite component of kitty litter, sodium bentonite is a naturally occurring clay mineral that is considered to be biologically inert when ingested. Silica is also a physically and chemically inert substance, and is a major component found in ordinary sand. Silica is also used as a moisture-absorbing agent in the little packets found in shoe boxes, medications and some foods. In our experience, pets ingesting small amounts of silica gel may develop only mild gastrointestinal upset, if any signs develop at all.

Cats may ingest small amounts of litter when grooming themselves after using the litter box, and these amounts pass through the digestive tract easily without problems. However, if an animal consumes a very large amount of litter (as can happen when a dog "cleans out" the litter box), gastrointestinal upset, constipation or, in rare cases, intestinal obstruction could potentially occur. In addition, consuming fecal material may cause bacterial-related gastrointestinal problems. It is a good idea to discourage your dogs from helping themselves to the litter box by placing it in an area that is out of their reach, but still accessible to your cat."

I did a quick search and there is a clumping litter made from corn - without all the additives.

Here's a link

WORLDS BEST CAT LITTER

Heck, this looks so good mummy might try it for my kitties because it seems dust free too.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 1:16pm PST 
You could always keep the door closed to the room the litter box is in and install a cat door.... like the kind to go outside, in the door or wall... that way only Kitty could get to the box.

Kind of extreme cause you would have to cut a hole in the wall or door but it would keep your pup out of it for sure.
[notify]

Kali-the- Dark Goddess

I can snore loud- enough to wake- everyone

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 1:18pm PST 
Sorry, I've never heard of a litter that was safe to eat. But I do have a cat, and I know all about a dogs love of the "tootsie roll buffet". It's disgusting. If possible, can you give the cat her own area, where no dogs are allowed unsupervised? We put a small petdoor in the door to the basement. The cat has free access to the basement, but the dogs can't go down alone. The cat really enjoys the ability to get some awaytime from the dogs. This is the only thing I've found, that works. Even after years of training sessions to keep away from it, the litterbox seems the one thing they can't resist!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 1:25pm PST 
When we had that problem we used a product called Swheat Scoop. It's made out of wheat and is very similar to the world's best kitty litter product. We also trained Sabrina to stay away from the litter box, which is something you should probably do anyway. I know you're young now but you can start working on a leave it command. Also when we couldn't be home we would set up a baby gate about 6-7 inches off of the ground. This way the cats could get under it but Sabrina couldn't. Hope that helps!
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 1:54pm PST 
ive seen litter boxes with a lid on the top and the hole in the top isn't that big...maybe not big enough for the great dane to stick his head into to get a treat.
[notify]
Lucky ~In- Loving- Memory~

What's going- on????

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 2:02pm PST 
I use a product similar to "Feline Pine" (but cheaper, it's the same thing but made for horses and sells for $6/40lb bag) which is just compressed pine sawdust. It basically turns back into sawdust when wet, so I dont' think it could hurt, or cause an impaction.

As far as keeping the dog out of the box, I use a big Rubbermaid tub with a hole cut in the lid. Keeps the dogs out, and also helps cut down on litter tracked all over the house becuase most of it falls off their feet when they jump out onto the lid. Another idea I think was mentioned but I've also used with sucess is a baby gate. You just set it high enough off the floor that the cats can go under it. Kitties can get in, dogs stay out! You could also put the litter box up on a card table or something depending on how your house is set up, but your dog is big enough that he could probably still get it down.
[notify]
Cyprus

Cypranius King- of Quinn

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 2:52pm PST 
thanks for all of your input. the cat door was a really good idea. we have a friend that taught their cat to go outside, but ours wants nothing to do with the outside world (since we're getting him declawed, that's a good thing).

we're going to change the litter too though, just as a precaution. it's not worth cyprus getting sick.

thanks again!
amber
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 3:34pm PST 
There is a litter called Yesterday's News that is made from recycled newspaper that (I assume) would be safer. There's also another one that's made from paper/fiber, but I can't remember the name. These still clump a little, but the clumps break apart really easily. The only down side - odor control not nearly as good (think wet newspaper soaked in cat pee). So you have to be very fastidious with ye old litter pan.

I have older closets with sliding doors, and when I had a cat I put her litter box in a closet and closed the door, leaving a crack just wide enough for a cat to squeeze through, but too small for a dog to fit. I then strategically placed a box in a position to hold the door so it could not be forced open. Oh, the ingenuity we find deep within ourselves when animals threaten to outsmart us...
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Fri Sep 8, '06 3:39pm PST 
Yeah, Cyprus!

What Mingus said is true! We had to use it any way after Sara's surgery.

She liked it better than the clay, but it was harder to keep clean. No scooping there... It is like small pellets of paper.

edited to spell Cyprus' name right! sorry...

Edited by author Fri Sep 8, '06 4:32pm PST

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2