GO!

Liver Function/Bile Acid Test

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
*~YiPPy~*

*~Do-Dah-Day~*

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 1:40pm PST 
Has anyone had this test~? Can you tell me more about it~?

A little background~ i'm feeling fine, i haven't been acting sick/different. I eat a Raw diet, not on any medications, the only supplements i use are salmon oil and a green algae supplement.

Last month i had bloodwork done... CBC etc, just for baseline values and for my own records. I was surprised to see that my ALT(SGPT) was elevated at 340 (normal is 12-118 IU/L). That was the only value out of normal range. The rest of my liver values were normal.

We decided to wait a month and recheck, hoping that it was nothing. The last few weeks i've been taking Milk Thistle (about 1/2 a 175mg capsule a day) and today was my recheck, and we did a full Liver Panel (fasting).

Not only did my ALT not go down... it's Up~ in the 360s now.

My vet (holistic) suggested that we do a Bile Acid Test to check my liver function. So i'm scheduled for next week.

Just wanted to hear from other pups.
Mom says she's trying not to get worried yet, but it's hard not knowing if everything is ok or not...

Thanks. *^_^*
[notify]
Jebediah

Got people food?- I'll eat it!!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 1:42pm PST 
I get this test done because I am on Phenobarbitol and it can damage the liver. My levels have all been normal thus far, thank goodness. I hope everything is OK!
Woofs, jeb
[notify]
Pierre

MUST HAVE- PANCAKE!!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 1:43pm PST 
Yippy!!

We don't know about this, but we wanted to wish you the best!! Tell mom to keep hopeful and we will be sending lots of puppy prayers that all works out fine!
woof!
pierre
[notify]

*~YiPPy~*

*~Do-Dah-Day~*

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 1:55pm PST 
Thanks pups~ *^_^*

Jeb~ i'm glad your levels have been fine so far~! I hope they stay that way.
Have you always done the conventional test~? Fasting blood drawn, eat the high fat food, wait 2 hours, blood drawn again.... or have you done the urine bile acid test~?

and thank you for the well-wishes pierre~!
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 2:05pm PST 
If your values are still not normal with re-check, your vet might want to do an ultrasound to see if the liver is enlarged or has any abnormal shape to it. If that's OK, our vet said the next step would have been a needle biopsy (ouch!), but fortunately, he put Pokie on Denosyl (Sam-E) and within 3 months, liver function was normal. This was also with a change in diet to a lower, more digestible protein and higher carb. We tried Science Diet l/d kibble, but he hated it. He gets plain cooked chicken as his primary diet with Royal Canin for chi's kibble and muffin treats that are made from ground turkey, whole wheat flour, oats, egg, olive oil and shredded veggies. Whatever works for you, we certainly wish you all the best.

-Pokie's mom
[notify]
Paris- (1991-2007)

I Get By With A- Little Help...

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 2:18pm PST 
I second Pokie.
If the values are still high?
Get an ultrasound.
You could have a simple case of hepatitis, or something else.
Good for you for getting on milk thistle.
Sam-e, or Denosyl (brand name) are also good for you.
and low fat for the time being.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

daisybarkett.com

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 4:08pm PST 
I had the bile acid test done YiPpY, as a pre test for some allergy meds. Some days I itch so badly, even with my allergy shots, that I ened to take a medicine with a little bit of steroid in it. SO our vet did my bile acid test for two reasons. One was to make sure my dry skin and some other symptoms were not do to my liver and secondly to make sure my liver would take the meds.
We hope you'll be ok.
[notify]
Spoiled

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 4:49pm PST 
Yippy, we wish you luck with the test and hope it's nothing serious! We need our pal to stay healthy!

Love, Karma and Gang
xoxo
[notify]
*~YiPPy~*

*~Do-Dah-Day~*

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 6:01pm PST 
Ok, thanks for uR responses, Pokie and Paris...
My vet did mention an ultrasound, we're just taking it one step at a time~ and i guess that next step is the Bile Acid Test.

We're upping my milk thistle dose to a full 175mg capsule as well. I'll have mommy look into the Sam-e... are you recommending both at the same time~? Or the Sam-e if the milk thistle doesn't seem to help~?

I didn't know you had this test Daisy~! It makes me alittle less nervous knowing other pups who have had the test and been ok.

Like i said, we're trying to not get too worried yet. Hopefully everything is ok. *^_^*

Hi Karma~!
[notify]
Paris- (1991-2007)

I Get By With A- Little Help...

Barked: Wed Aug 30, '06 7:43am PST 
the milk thistle and Sam-e work wonderfully in tandem.
Please keep us posted, and you're right to take it one step at a time!
big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2