GO!

seizures and min pins (or in general)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeusy

Zeuser Ruser!

Barked: Wed Aug 23, '06 6:26pm PST 
Hello, Im baby zeus and my wife Hera was "taken to a better place" (as mommy puts it) monday. She was having seizures, 4 in 2 hours...Im very sad, so are mommy, daddy, Dozer and our baby(Miracle). We will all miss her greatly. The vet told mommy that something triggered the seizures and they'd do a blood test to find out if they wanted, but the best option was to put her to sleep because the meds they could give her wouldnt be a permenant fix because there is none... She couldnt live like that, she was 3 years old and had never had a seizure before...has this happened to anyone else?
[notify]
Pancho- Lopez-In- Memoriam

i must break you

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 5:58am PST 
I had siezures before once... lasted hours and hours and never happened again... how long did they wait before making the decision to euthanize? did they try any medications at all? what treatments did they do? you poor thing... I'm so sorry, you must be so sad!!! my heart goes out to you!
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 6:57am PST 
First, I am so sorry for your loss. Second, I am curious as to what was done for her before that painful and irreversible decision was made. Did they give her valium or phenobarbital or anything to stop the seizures? Why did they think it was hopeless? From experience with Pokie, we know Frontline, Heartgard, cleaning chemicals, some food additives, stress, heat - lots of things can trigger seizures. But knowing that, they can be managed and kept at bay and become a minimal threat. We manage very nicely by paying attention to what triggers them, then avoiding that particular activity or product or whatever. What a shame. We are truly sorry for your loss.

-Pokie's mom
[notify]

Zeusy

Zeuser Ruser!

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 7:23am PST 
Thank you for you sympathies (not sure that's spelled correctly) The vet we went to was not our usual vet because we went there first (our appt. was at 4:30 and I didn't want to wait for the vet to get there because I wasn't sure she'd make it if we did) at that time we we're not sure what was wrong with her because on the way there she had her first seizure. They sent us to a vet about 10 minutes away as a walk in. The vet said they could hospitalize her but he pretty much said the meds wouldn't help for a long amount of time, plus if they couldn't stop her seizures at that time he said she would die. We wanted to do what was best for her, and this was the most difficult decision we've ever made and Baby Zeus knew something was wrong with her, he kept giving her kisses and loves this was breaking my heart. Even when she wasn't seizing, she was twitching and crying, she looked like she was in so much pain we just wanted her to not hurt anymore. The thing that threw us off is that morning she and baby zeus, miracle (her and BZ's puppy) we're running around playing....

-Baby Zeus Mommy
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 8:50am PST 
Well what's done is done. May she rest in peace now.
[notify]
Jebediah

Got people food?- I'll eat it!!

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 10:03am PST 
That sounds...odd. We are sorry for your loss, but Jeb has seizures and is on medication for control and he lives a perfectly normal and happy life. Most dogs with idiopathic (no known cause) epilepsy develop it around 3 years of age. So I wouldn't go to that vet again. Unless there is more to the story, it sounds like they gave up on a dog that could have still had a normal happy life. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, but it seems strange that they said the only solution was euthanasia when there are many happy, healthy dogs out there living with seizures. That is a really sad storyfrown
[notify]
Zeusy

Zeuser Ruser!

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 1:34pm PST 
the vet we went to was not our normal all the time vet, our normal vet couldnt get into the office until 4:30 and I felt we couldnt wait that long, so our vet told us another one that would see us as a walk in as soon as we got there. it was 10 minutes away, trust me i'd rather have been at our normal vet's office but i had to go where they'd see us right away.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 1:42pm PST 
For the record, IMHO, you were given bad advice. Since this is something that I've read other min-pin owners have dealt with, it may come up again. Seizures are not a death sentence. (See Pokie's page) He is a happy, healthy, playful pup most of the time. And he's not even on prescription meds, only supplements, careful monitoring of his diet and avoidance of things that cause problems. If Zeus or Miracle should one day have a seizure, insist on treating the pup and then getting answers as to the cause. It would be tragic to needlessly put another pup down.

-Pokie's mom
[notify]
Yasha the- Russian Toy- Terrier

RrrrrrRRRRrruff.

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 7:45pm PST 
Holy cow. I am so sorry for your loss, but I feel that I have to scream foul. Was he hot? Did he have a fever? If he was, it could have been as simple as bringing his temp down. I'm shocked at the vet's decision, and I really hope there was more to the story to justifying putting your poor min pin down when many dogs live with this every day. *big huge hug*
[notify]
Yasha the- Russian Toy- Terrier

RrrrrrRRRRrruff.

Barked: Thu Aug 24, '06 7:46pm PST 
Double post. Ugh.

Edited by author Fri Aug 25, '06 9:46am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2