GO!

chihuahua coughing fits

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 8:23pm PST 
My vet has told me it's a chihuahua thing. However, it really freaks me out. Peanut does it, Rocky doesn't. It's usually very random, unless she is running around a lot. It's constant coughing almost like she is trying to catch her breath. I was thinking maybe doggie asthma. Is there a way for them to get tested for that? The vet says that her lungs always sound great when she checks them.

Any other chis have this problem?
[notify]
Pea-Nutty- 1998-2012

Forever In Our- Hearts

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 8:30pm PST 
I do, I only get on occasion though. Not sure what prompts it, but I've also checked out fine. Maybe it is just some chi's that get it?
[notify]
☮Ch@ch1(8.17.97 -3.5.08

rest in peace

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 8:40pm PST 
It happens to me too. Mom gets really scared but after almost 9 years of me doing that she knows I'll be ok. She usually cups her hands around my nose to provide a pocket of air (she read that somewhere). I get it when I get over ambitious about sniffing. Some people call it a reverse sneeze.
[notify]

Peanut Baby

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 8:41pm PST 
Well, I will share with you what I do know about it. Chihuahua's and other little doggies are prone to get a collapsed trachea because it's so small. Anyway, it freaks me out so much and the more I read up about it, the more and more I think my vet is retarded. I have brought this up with my vet numerous times and she just brushes it off. However, there seems to be some things you can do with it. I have no idea how often these things are practiced, but I have looked up and read about medicines and even surgery. I have seen them do x-rays to look at the trachea to make sure it's not super bad I guess. However, my vet told me nothing about it. This is all me looking stuff up.

I just was really curious on other dogs that have this problem and I was hoping you could give me some advice on what to specifically ask the vet to do for my dog.

I am trying to find a new vet also, but it's so hard frown.
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Barked: Tue Aug 15, '06 8:44pm PST 
Yeah, sorry for the double post, you posting when I was posting though! lol...

She is always okay afterwards, but it scares the crap out of me and coming from me; someone with asthma, I know how scary it is to not catch your breath. I can't even imagine it as a dog, not knowing what the hell is going on.
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Wed Aug 16, '06 6:14am PST 
Our vet will almost always catch a collapsing trahea problem when we take our rescues in.
They can do xrays to find this and it sounds like they need to do that with your baby.
There is not much that can be done for it unless it is very bad, but it is good to know what is going on.
I would get a second opinion from another vet.
[notify]
♥- Bambi- ♥

LITTLE DOODLEBUG

Barked: Wed Aug 16, '06 10:33am PST 
I only experience it sometimes when I run around and get real excited, but it only lasts for a couple of seconds. My mom's sister's chi's have the same problem.
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Barked: Wed Aug 16, '06 7:54pm PST 
It's nice to hear other people dealing with it too! God, I wish it didn't scare the crap out of me everytime though!
[notify]