GO!

Right time to neuter?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Scout

Treat-Snack,- Treat-Snack,- Treat-Snack!

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 1:34pm PST 
I have a 4 month old male Chocolate Lab Puppy named Rudy. I have always had female dogs and had them spayed at 6 months old. So this male dog stuff is throwing me a little.

My vet said that he would neuter Rudy at 8 months and no sooner. I thought that was strange considering he spayed our female dogs at 6 months.

Rudy has been humping since the second day we had him...but lately his humping is different...more intense I should say. The last couple days his "lipstick" as I like to call it starting making appearances...mostly when he sat down in a certain way. Then last night I got a frantic call from my boyfriend saying his lipstick was all the way out and Rudy was screaming! Luckily after 10-15 minutes it went back in and Rudy seemed back to normal.

At work today I asked a co-worker and she said it seems as though Rudy was " Knotting"...which I guess means he is going to get very interested in humping everything. I don't want to wait 4 more months to get him neutered. I don't want him humping things and I certainly don't want him to start raising his leg....

So I need some advise. When is a good time to get a male dog neutered...what is the norm...when is it considered safe? Should I look for another vet that will do it sooner?

Thanks....
[notify]
"Mocha Java"- aka Java

Da Bulls.. Goin'- all Da Way!

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 1:48pm PST 
I have never heard of waiting until 8 months of age to neuter a dog before. Maybe call a different Vet and see what they say.. 6 months is the magic age in my book for both spaying and neutering dogs and cats!

My cat was actually neutered at 4 months..LOL.. he was rather "well endowed" by then...LOL
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 1:49pm PST 
I've never had a male dog but at the shelter we neuter all males before we adopt them out. Some as young as 8 weeks old. Neutering males is a fairly simple procedure (with an experienced vet) and you should be able to neuter him now.

Roland

Cuddle me

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 1:51pm PST 
Definately look for another vet. 8 months? Pfft. I adopted 2 male dogs from the local humane society and they had us bring them back to be neutered at 4 months. What I understand is that they typically wait until 6 months for female dogs because at 6 mo they can have their first litter. However, it's safe to neuter/spay before that. Here's what my shelter posted in a section called myths about spaying/neutering:

" MYTH: Animals must be at least six months old before they can be spayed or neutered.
FACT: Cats and dogs are capable of becoming pregnant as young as 6 months of age. Although animals have traditionally been altered at six months, veterinarians are now practicing early spay/neuter surgery, which can be performed on animals as young as eight weeks. Vets practicing the technique report that the surgery is significantly easier and quicker to perform and recovery time is shorter. Furthermore, guardians of animals altered younger report fewer medical problems than those of conventionally altered animals. Finally, the spay/neuter procedure, prior to adopting out animals from shelters, is the best way to ensure that unwanted births do not occur. "
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 1:58pm PST 
Some say as soon as they drop, get them out...

I was neutered at 8 weeks. Sammy was neutered at 6 months.

I say, if you can see them, it is high time to lose them.

But, I appreciate that you want to get the surgery done. Very responsible!

No unwanted pups from YOU! smile

Good Dog!
Milo, B.S.E- Class 2

I like to chew- on wood

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 2:00pm PST 
6 months. definitely.
I got neutered earlier (5) because I ate something, apparently, and needed surgery anyway, so they did it all at once.
the longer you wait, the greater the chance of sexually-related cancers to pop up (no pun intended)
get 'er done!
Also, neutering is SO much easier than spaying. The heal time is less, for sure. You'll be fine!
big grin
[notify]
Celestial Sr- Issac- Newton, NPC

What goes up,- must come down!

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 2:17pm PST 
My bro Jelly Bean got neutered at 6 months he was 6.6lbs! I am being neutered on the 21st, I will be about 3 weeks shy of 6 months, butI have been humping and also got my "lipstick" stuck out last week, it hurt alot! I am 8lbs right now so the vet has no problem doing it a few weeks early. If I were you I would get a second opinion!
[notify]
Ricky

RIP Sassy! You- will be missed!- We <3 you

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 2:20pm PST 
We had Ricky "fixed" at 8 months. Our vet also suggested this age, but mainly because, being a small dog, Ricky is even more prone to these cancers.

What we suggest is to consult with a different vet, and get some seconds opinions. If you don't want Rudy to start raising his leg, they when on walks, don't lead him to any hydrants, trees, or anything large portruding from the ground,such as trees and stalks. He will of course, in time, raise his leg, but other times, he'll squat. It has to do with maturing, not whether or not ne's neutered.

Lipstick, BOL, never heard that term before. It usually happens when a dog gets really excited. Ricky, being fixed and all, still gets extremly excited sometimes and this happens. If it happens for extended periods of time, have it checked by a vet, most definately. Neutering again cannot help this, it'll still be happening.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 2:53pm PST 
Ricky, Kaiser does that too when he's ***REALLY*** happy!! BOL!!

Kaiser was fixed at 6 months.. my vet does all the neutering/spaying at 6 months.. sometimes 5. I say see a new vet. Had I waited for Kaiser to be 8 months, all heck would have broke loose!
[notify]
Bo

Anytime you- can...run, run,- run!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 4:12pm PST 
I would check with another vet, I have never heard of waiting that long.
Bo was neutered at the shelter when he was 12weeks old. My foster dogs get fixed as soon as the vet will do it and mine will do it at 12 weeks as long as they are 3lbs. or over.
More and more vets are doing early spay/neuters and as long as the vet has experience in this I highly recommend it.
Also, a neuter is fairly "simple" I have watched them before and it takes just a few minutes to do the "snip"
I sure wouldn't wait another 4 months, like you said, you will be crazy by then!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3