GO!

How soon after a dog has pups can she get pregnant again?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ruffian

Newest Project- "Sprinkles"

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 7:36am PST 
DON'T JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS OK?? I KNOW THE TITLE SOUNDS BAD!!

But it's an honest question. The stupid girl at work had a male Chi and a female Papillion (she was UNDER A YEAR OLD!!) and they did stuff. The girl said she had never had a girl dog before and didn't know that her other dog would get her pregnant! GRRRRR!!! Well, I have only ever had fixed dogs so I don't know how soon she could get pregnant again and I want to give the girl a time frame to fix the boy dog so she will be more inclined to do it!!!

Whines and Very Sad Wags
(She just had her puppies last night and the girl slept through it all!!!! And she haddn't taken it to the vet the whole time she was pregnant! Two died, two lived.)
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 7:43am PST 
The answer is the male dog needs to be neutered YESTERDAY if you know what I mean, and once the surviving pups are weaned, the Pappilon needs to be spayed. Your friend can see for herself the devastation of losing 2 pups right off the bat, if she cares. And what will happen to the survivors? Please tell your friend BOTH her dogs need to be fixed, and the pups will need to be spayed or neutered when they go to forever homes. We bet they're beautiful babies, but it's so sad that two are already gone before they ever had a chance :-(

Pokie's mom
[notify]
Ruffian

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 7:50am PST 
I here you Pokie’s mom! I agree 100%!! She certainly isn’t my FRIEND though. Just a spoiled rich girl. She made a pretend pout and a sad face when she said two died. But she was laughing 5 minutes later. I just learned about her dog being pregnant a couple of days ago! And I wanted to CHEW HER OUT so bad!!!! She is probably going to keep the two pups. Ooooo that just gets under my skin!!!!
[notify]

Kennitt

'It's all about- Me!'

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 7:58am PST 
Just have to give a GRRRR for stupid people. Ok, got that off my chest. A female dog typically comes in season aprox. every 6 months, so with a 2 month (63 day) gestation period they should come in again when the puppies are 4 months old. The mother of the pups should be spayed as soon as the puppies are weaned (5-6 weeks).

Woof!
[notify]
Ruffian

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 8:02am PST 
Thanks Kennitt!!
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 8:05am PST 
I'm certainly not an expert, but I thought that in the animal world (humans included) that when the female gives birth it would be some time before they could get pregnant again. Especially if they're just born and nursing. I don't know how long after finishing nursing the heat cycles start again. Mom said she can't remember from all those nature shows.

I also vote for *SNIP* *SNIP* on the male ASAP! and spay the female when the pups are weaned. Nothing good can come of this.

I wish I had links for the sites and threads that talk about the dangers of breeding. Especially small miniature/toy breeds. It's even more dangerous when they're cross-bred with another breed that may be larger than the female.

Smoke, a Momma could die!
[notify]
Ruffian

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 8:11am PST 
I agree Smoke!!! I know with humans they can get pregnant IMMEADIATELY after giving birth! I knew someone who did!! (Poor lady!) I know it’s dangerous and could kill the mama and all the pups too! I wish she got that! She also has a HUGE Boxer male in the house (very old) that isn’t fixed…stranger things have happened you know! I knew a person that had a toy poodle female and a Catahoula Leopard dog male (also very old) and she was pregnant by. The ONE LARGE pup didn’t make it. The mama did though! What gets into people?????? GRRRR!
[notify]
Ruffian

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 8:16am PST 
My bad, she had three pups and two died. frown

I just told the girl about how soon that mama could get pregnant again and she was SHOCKED! She said that she is going to get her male dog sniped soon!!!! Now I just need to work on her about the female.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 8:30am PST 
Good luck with educating your clueless co-worker. Having intact male dogs, one LARGE at that, in the same environment with that little female is just begging for trouble and heartbreak. We hope you can get her educated. Poor little mama doggie, only one baby left. :-( We hope it survives and gets a much better home. (Mom says she would love to see it!) Keep us informed on your progress.

-Pokie
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Aug 2, '06 8:35am PST 
I agree, poor little mama dog and pup! Poor little mites. It is sad and deplorable that still today people are so freaking ignorant about where puppies come from!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2