GO!

Potatoes bad for dogs, even deadly?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Cujo

Cujo The- Lil'Little!©

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 2:30pm PST 
Has anyone heard that potatoes are bad for dogs and deadly? Someone told me on July 4th at a picnic AFTER I fed Cujo a bit of potatoe that it kills dogs or shortens their life span. Has anyone heard this???
[notify]
Rudy

Can I have that- food?

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 2:38pm PST 
Hmm...I've read several lists of food that is bad for dogs, and none of them ever mentioned potatoes. Here is a list from the ASPCA: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

Just because potatoes are not on the list, however, does not mean that they are necessarily safe for your dog. In small amounts, though, I would imagine they would be okay. Here is a link where you can ask questions about specific foods/household items: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_ask

Hope that helps to ease your mind!
[notify]
Finn

Play, Play,- Play!!

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 2:40pm PST 
Considering I eat Duck and Potato Naural Balance, I sure hope it is OK for me.
[notify]

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 2:41pm PST 
Potatoes are included in lots of high-quality dog foods, so I would think they're fine.

Maybe the person was thinking about the fact that the potato *plant* is poisonous, so if you're growing them in your garden, you should keep your dogs away from them.
[notify]
Xena

Xena Puggle:- Curtain Slayer!

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 2:45pm PST 
Good point, Finn and Kelpie. There are several brands of dog food that have potato in it, so eating the actual potato is okay. But like Kelpie said, it is not good for dogs to eat the green part of the plant or the leaves.
[notify]
Cooper

be the person- your dog thinks- you are

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 4:26pm PST 
I make potato salad with lots of onions........I know onions are bad.
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 4:30pm PST 
everything in moderation...
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Weiner Dog

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 5:50pm PST 
Potatoes are fine. They go into lots of dog foods.
[notify]
ZOE, ALWAYS- IN MY HEART

What- Would Cesar- Do?

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 5:58pm PST 
ohhhh please don't even think something like that. roxi and i looooove mashed taters and fries and baked, but we only get alittle. we know from the smell when potatoes are around!!!!!
woofs and licks,
roxi and zoe
[notify]
Nikki

FOOD FOOD FOOD

Barked: Wed Jul 5, '06 6:52pm PST 
I believe it is raw potatoes, especially when they are green. some form of toxin
[notify]
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4