GO!

Growth on face

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Keira

Pretty Pittie- Girl

Barked: Sat May 27, '06 7:55pm PST 
Keira has a growth on her face, just next to her nose. It started out really small and got bigger and redder. It does not seem to bother her at all - no pain or itching. But when it gets irritated, like when she gets a bath or something, it sometimes bleeds and then scabs over. We took her to the vet, of course, and the vet said that these types of growths are fairly common. She said that in older dogs it can be cancerous, but that in younger dogs, like Keira, it is usually nothing serious. She said to watch it for a few months and it should heal on it's own, but if it doesn't that we could have it removed. Everyone I talk to has never heard of these types of growths, although the vet insisted that they were common - just wondering if anyone here had ever heard or seen anything like that. It has started to look better, but we already made an appointment to have it removed next week. I hate to put her through that if it is just going to go away on it's own, but I am worried...Anyone ever heard of such a thing???
[notify]
Bellus

aka Belle Brusky

Barked: Sat May 27, '06 9:28pm PST 
I've seen lots of really weird looking things on old geezers and gals, but not on young 'uns. I think I'd feel a little uneasy about anything that bleeds and scabs over too, even in the face of reassurance. What about getting an opinion from a different vet? That might help. Is it small enough to be removed with a local anesthetic only? That's a much less bigger deal than having to undergo anesthesia. Much luck to you.
[notify]
Satchmo

Barked: Sat May 27, '06 9:45pm PST 
Satchmo had a growth on his snout for a couple of years, it was just a cyst that eventually went away on it's own. However, it never bled or got irritated...
[notify]

Syanne

Syanne

Barked: Sat May 27, '06 11:13pm PST 
I think I am having the same problem with my dog Syanne. Is this kinda what it looks like?
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8681/sspx00295od.jpg
Just wondering if this is like yours or something worse that I should worry about.

Edited by author Sat May 27, '06 11:15pm PST

[notify]
Keira

Pretty Pittie- Girl

Barked: Sun May 28, '06 5:08am PST 
Syanne,

It is similar to that, yes.

It started out really small and got bigger and more bulbous. It has reduced in size since, but still can get irritated. It has been looking better, and I am wondering if I should put off the removal a little longer, or possibly go to another vet. This vet didn't really look at it too closely. I think she is afraid of Keira, because when she reached out to look at it, Keira began to open her mouth. Keira wouldn't have bit her, but the vet stepped back and just told us it was a common cyst without taking a very good look. There is another vet at the same practice who Keira seems to like better and who doesn't seem to be afraid of her. Should I take Keira in to see her first? I don't know what to do. I want to do right by my baby, but don't want to put her through an unnecessary and uncomfortable procedure.
[notify]
Jonah

The Bone- collector!!

Barked: Sun May 28, '06 5:58am PST 
I had one on my forehead between my eyes, at first mommy thought it was a tick it was so small then it got really big. She got very nervous cuz she wasn't sure what it was, so we went to the vet. I got a biopsy to make sure it wasn't cancer, and the vet said it wasn't, .She said if we didn't do the biopsy it would go away within 3 months anyhow cuz it was some kind of puppy pimple.
[notify]
Syanne

Syanne

Barked: Sun May 28, '06 9:47am PST 
Keira,

I wish I knew what to do, but I am not a vet. If it was me, and it looked like it was getting better, I would give it a little longer to see if it heals. The reason I was so worried about my dog Syanne is because her mother died from cancer, and was hoping this wasn't it. Good luck to you and thank you for responding to mine. I will end up going to see the vet next saturday. If you would like I can messenge you back and tell you what he said about it.
[notify]
Keira

Pretty Pittie- Girl

Barked: Sun May 28, '06 11:51am PST 
I think I am going to ask the vet if they can do a biopsy before removing it. The vet did not offer that as a suggestion, just said we could have it removed and THEN tested. But I don't see why they couldn't take a sample. If it is just a "puppy pimple" and nothing serious, I would rather not put her through the procedure. She's not vain - she can live with a pimple. smile And she's still beautiful to me no matter what! smile
[notify]
Bellus

aka Belle Brusky

Barked: Sun May 28, '06 7:44pm PST 
Unless they can draw cells from it with a syringe to test, she will have the same procedure to go through for the biopsy as she would if they were removing it, so you may as well get it removed and then tested.
[notify]
Keira

Pretty Pittie- Girl

Barked: Wed Jun 7, '06 6:45pm PST 
Keira had her growth removed one week ago today and we are still waiting for the biopsy results. The area is not looking good at all, even though the vet says it looks OK. It does not seem to bother her and she doesn't scratch at it or anything, but it just doesn't look like it is healing well at all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3