GO!

Heart Murmur

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Buddie D.- Smith- 1993-2006

Love- Never- Dies

Barked: Tue May 16, '06 8:39pm PST 
Ok, several years ago Bud was diagnosed with a heart murmur. His doc said to watch out for certain symptoms as he gets older, like shortness of breath, fatigue, coughing... etc. My question is... what does a dogs cough sound like? Bud had kennel cough when he came home from the pound... will it sound like that? I only ask because he gags & hacks sometimes, which I have always attibuted to allergies/sinuses.... and I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. Any advice?
[notify]
Champy ( In- Loving- memory )

Mom's- Angel

Barked: Wed May 17, '06 3:41am PST 
I can give you an advice, but asking a vet would be the ideal thing.

My dog Champ had Heart Murmur for a long time, and when he did get older he started coughing, like a hacking cough.
It would look like something is stuck in his throat or
It sounded more like as if he were trying to clear his throat.
Very hard to explain exactly what he did.
He was on Heart meds too.

My best advice, is to check it out often by the vet to make sure it is not getting worse, cause you wouldn't want his Heart to get too enlarged. That is why the medications control that, till it could.

Best of luck.
[notify]

Love- Never- Dies

Barked: Wed May 17, '06 9:29am PST 
Thanks, Champ. I planned on calling the vet today anyway. I was just wondering is anyone else had experienced it so I knew what to listen for. What sort of meds was he on?
[notify]

"Mocha Java"- aka Java

Da Bulls.. Goin'- all Da Way!

Barked: Wed May 17, '06 10:38am PST 
My guess as far as meds go that Champ was on is probably Enacard (Enalapril) and/or Lasix (Furosemide), those are the 2 most common heart medications for dogs and cats.
[notify]

Love- Never- Dies

Barked: Wed May 17, '06 1:12pm PST 
Do they have any side effects? Bud's appointment is Friday morning, by the way.
[notify]
Gizmo (In- Loving- Memory)

Uncle Giz... aka- The Enforcer

Barked: Wed May 17, '06 10:05pm PST 
Bud, Gizmo was on heart medication and the main side affect was that he drank a lot of water.
He was tired, but he was also 7 by the time he was placed on medication, so he was a little old. He wasn't terribly energetic to begin with.
Gizmo survived for 6 years because of his heart pills.
We wish you the best!
Take care, Brig on behalf of Giz and the gang
[notify]
Pepe - Forever Loved

Running wild at- the Bridge

Barked: Thu May 18, '06 7:13am PST 
Pepe has a heart murmur too and he is on pills to supress his coughing. And yes, gaging and hacking is definitely what the cough will sound like. Pepe also has a trachea problem (which little dogs get so he is walked on a halter). Pepe has had a few seizures just lately due to his coughing - he had two after he got really excited on a couple of occasions which start him coughing but other times it has come on with no warning. It is horrible to watch. He will be going to the vet at the weekend to see what they suggest he needs.
[notify]

Love- Never- Dies

Barked: Sun May 21, '06 10:21am PST 
Thanks everyone. Turns out that Bud's appointment had to be cancelled because his vet had an emergency at the zoo. (The gorilla died) So now I have to wait until tomorrow to reschedule, and she wont be in all this week so I dunno if I should reschedule with his back up vet or wait a week for her to return. He seems to be doing ok, the hacking he's been doing isn't very frequent, but he does do it once in a while. I still think it may be allergies, but he'll see the doc just to be safe. Now I just need to decide if I should wait a week or not. Advice, anyone? Thanks!
[notify]

Love- Never- Dies

Barked: Fri May 26, '06 3:02pm PST 
Update on me! My appointment was today, and although I was very bad at the vet the news was good. I have post nasal drip from allergies & sinus problems which is causing my cough. Despite the heart murmur, my heart & lungs are good. Yay! Mom is in washing the drool & hair off. I sure do hate going to that place! Grrrrrrrrrr. Even tho' I was so bad (I even tried to bite Mom!) Mom still gave me treats. She sure is good Mom. Nap time for me now! Woooofas!
[notify]