GO!

Ingrown tail?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rocky

CHEESE PLEASE!

Barked: Sat May 13, '06 8:38pm PST 
I think I have an ingrown tail! Now what? I thought I had blocked anal glands, but mommy took a closer look and realized that my tail was under my skin. It's only about an inch long when it's out.
Has anyone else had this problem?
[notify]
Queenie- Gismo

Barked: Sat May 13, '06 8:42pm PST 
I don't think I get what you are saying? Cna you put up a pic of it?

do you mean a pieve of the bone is out?I have a frined with a boston with a horrible looking tail. I cna't think of how you'd get an ingrown tail(except for the extremely fay lab nextdoor who has a tail roll!).

Edited by author Sat May 13, '06 8:43pm PST

[notify]
Rocky

CHEESE PLEASE!

Barked: Sat May 13, '06 9:09pm PST 
Rocky was scooting and scooting and scooting. I took him to be expressed time and time again, only with small blockages. It's funny - because all this time when he scooted I would scratch his butt. He even knows to come to me when I say "does your butt itch". Anyway, I realized that his normal one inch tail has "disappearred". When I gave him a bath the other day, I was washing back there and was able to put my fingers under his tail and into a crevice. After some investigating and looking closer (yes this is gross) I realized that most of his little tail was inside of him. Almost like an ingrown hair. The area was swollen and red, and obviously irritated. I was able to clean it out and sure enough his tail magically reappeared. I put some aloe on it and he was much better for a few days.

Today I did it again. I don't understand why the vet techs didn't notice this when they expressed him. I have another boston, so I know what a "normal" tail looks like. I guess he'll have a vet visit this week.
[notify]

Shady

aka Drama Queen

Barked: Sun May 14, '06 12:23am PST 
I have a friend who had an British Bulldog with an inverted tail. (the tail was curling inside her). The vet had to operate on her to fix the problem. Unfortunately, bulldogs don't always do well when they are put under and Lilo never woke up. My friend was devastated.
I urge you to get a hold of your vet on Monday and make an appointment for your little dog to be examined. Something will have to be done for sure. I don't understand why this happens, but I'm assuming he has a curly tail, too, like the British Bulldogs? I guess for some odd reason, some pups end up with their tail curling backwards. I hope this helps... get your pup checked asap!
[notify]
Rocky

CHEESE PLEASE!

Barked: Thu May 18, '06 5:35pm PST 
So it's not an "ingrown tail". The vet said because the tail bone is so short, it needs special attention. He suggested that i clean around the area with baby wipes. I've been cleaning it anyway, so no more worries. If it gets really bad, he said there is a surgical procedure. It's a big relief.
[notify]
TJ Max

If you love- everyone you get- more treats

Barked: Thu May 18, '06 9:45pm PST 
I am still not really understanding what that tail is doing but Max had a similar problem. He is a Boston as you can tell by the picture but anyway he was born with a "screw tail". He will turn 3 at the end of May and until about 4 or 5 months ago he was fine. He just started to sit down and whine and look up at me. He did this for a few days and after looking at it I didn't see anything wrong. He continued to do this so I took him to the vet. I went to clean out is anal glands and said that they were fine but his tail was growing into his butt. He said the tail can continue to grow after the dog is born. This had caused a soar on his butt and that is what was bothering Max. I was told to clean it with proxide and then rubbing alcholoe. Plus he was given an antibiotic. The soar healed up and I was told to stop the treatment but continue to watch it.

About a week later the soar was back and he was in pain I could tell. I took him back and the vet said that he could either keep treating it or do surgery to remove part of the bone. I wanted to get him neutered so the vet did both surgeries at once. He healed up from the neutering very well but the tail not so good. I was still cleaning it and keeping some ointment on it. When the stiches came out the vet gave my the third round of antibiotics and flushed out the tail insision. This did the trick, it healed up nicely and I can't even tell he had surgery. He didn't remove any of the skin just part of the tail so the tail looks the same.

Max is much happier and more playful now. I didn't realize how much the tail was bothering him until after the surgery and I could see him play again.

I don't know if this is what your dog has but keep an eye on the tail. I didn't realize that the tail continues to grow on some dogs. Weird, I am just glad it is all over.

Jillyan and Max
[notify]
Lillian aka- Mooker- ♥

all about Moo- Moo

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 1:35am PST 
I think I know what you are talking aboout.. I have a french bulldog and she has a corkscrew tail that is inverted. Like all the way around the bottom of her tail it is covered and it becomes irritated and infected very easily.. It requires cleaning daily until it is better and then at least 2 to 3 a week to maintain. I have had a good response to malaseb pledgets and also a blue liquid that I mix with water and use on a cotton swab or cotton square but I get both from my vet and I usually rotate between the two.. I advise that you speak to your vet.. You will have to get both of those from a vet. I hope this helps good luck
[notify]