GO!

Eating Sand - help

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Cujo

Cujo The- Lil'Little!©

Barked: Mon May 1, '06 11:33am PST 
hi -
Yesterday we brought Cujo to the beach for the first time. I tried to keep him away from the sandy areas but he somehow consumed sand. He has been passing the sand as stool today. He did not have an appetite last night after we came home (he didnt eat all day as it was). The stool actually IS sand. Then this morning he passed some jelly like substance. Has anyone's puppy or dog ever consumed sand and should I worry? I called vet and they said not to worry unless I see more jelly like substances. I feel like my vet is a joke sometimes... but I figured I would ask you out there what your experiences have been like.
Thank you!
-Cujo's mom
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Mon May 1, '06 11:38am PST 
How do you go to a beach and NOT get into sand? Just a dumb question? Maybe there was food buried in the sand, so he consumed sand and something else. On most beaches, it could be part of a sandwich, a dead fish or discarded bait, even a dirty diaper! Yuck! Did you see him eat the sand? A little probably won't hurt, and it's hard to believe he took in enough to hurt anything unless he just ate an enormous amount...Here's hoping he is going to be OK.

-Pokie's mom
[notify]
Beau

Until there's- none, adopt one.

Barked: Mon May 1, '06 11:48am PST 
I am not sure about the jelly like substance and the loss of appetite would worry me. Beau and I live on the beach and sometimes he digs in the sand with his nose and burrows(sp?) his nose into the sand, and he does literally poop little sand castles, my vet advised the same thing not too worry unless it happens all the time and/or he has other symptons. I hope that helps.
[notify]

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Mon May 1, '06 12:18pm PST 
I think your vet did give you an appropriate answer, so don't worry wink

I also pooped sand after going to a beach. Ah the joys of dog ownership.. we all have a collection of "interesting poop" stories.
[notify]
Cujo

Cujo The- Lil'Little!©

Barked: Tue May 2, '06 10:18am PST 
He (vet) is now worried since Cujo has not been able to move his bowels for the last 12 hours. Apparently though he has an appetite again (this morning he ate food on his own) and plays - he may now have a blockage and they may need to either give him something to coat the intestines OR if it is bad conduct surgery to remove the blockage.

This beach is a mixture of grass and sand. Cujo got into the sand when playing with two other puppies and gobbled the sand. He did "poop" sand twice but then after the jelly substance (which the vet said indicates irritation and blockage) now he has ceased releasing his bowels.

He gets himself into all these things! Such a little boy! However I am a little nervous. I asked the Dr if having me wait to watch him for so long until the next movement was wise - could it make it worse. He indicated possibility byut Xray will tell us for certain.

UGH
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue May 2, '06 11:39am PST 
I sure hope he's ok and doesn't need surgery. What you are referring to as a beach, I'm guessing is a lake shore or something. As I told you in my p-mail, on the Texas Coast, a beach is sand, sand and more sand. About all the vegetation is sea oats or other grasses. We'll keep him in our thoughts that he's gonna' be OK without surgery.

-Pokie's mom
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Wed May 3, '06 10:37am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear.. frown So.. I guess no more trips to the beach for Cujo until he gets older? Snowy used to gobble up everything when he was a baby, but he doesn't do it anymore. I guess dogs aren't that much different from human babies...
[notify]