GO!

RAWHIDE - good or bad?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
emma

pet me! pet me!- NOW!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '05 3:12pm PST 
hi there!
i love rawhide - i look forward to it every night and it helps my teeth and gums stay clean. BUT i have heard that it is bad for me. can anyone straighten this issue out for me once and for all?
thanks!
emma
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '05 3:52pm PST 
I think rawhides are yummy treats for dogs - they are also cheaper than many "fabricated" treats (like nylabone treats, greenies, or cornstarch bimples).

However, here are some facts I know that might make you hesitant giving your dog rawhides:

*Indoor dog owners avoid rawhides because they are too greasy and will stain carpets and furniture.

* Rawhide treats are brittle treats. This means that you should monitor your dog as he chews rawhide treats - if a piece gets lodged in your dog's throat, he can choke on it. It will also cause great deal of pain, as broken pieces may be sharp. A large rawhide chunk can also cause intestinal blockage, which will require a surgery to fix. Just as a comparison, however, choking and intestinal blockage can also happen to your dog when he consumes greenies, especially if your dog is a "gulper" (hates to chew food into little bits, likes to swallow things).

* Rawhides made in foreign countries may not be as strictly regulated as the domestic ones. It's possible that these rawhides may contain high levels of Salmonella virus. Some foreign rawhides are trated with arsenic based preservative, and can kill your dog.

Like anything in life, everything that you do with or feed to your dog is a gamble. I think supervision and willingness to choose quality over bargains will reduce future harm to your dog. The fact that you're questioning the safety of rawhides is already a wonderful sign.

Good luck!
[notify]
emma

pet me! pet me!- NOW!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '05 7:04pm PST 
i appreciate the input, snowy - this is really good information. thanks for putting my mind at ease!
[notify]

Satchel

Home is where- you get your- lovin'!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '05 7:11pm PST 
Hi Emma,
I'm kinda new here. My mom and I just started obedience classes and the trainer told us that lots of rawhide is preserved or dried or tanned or whatever the heck they do ... in formaldehyde! That sounded gross to me. But I do not know if it's just 'scare tactics' to promote only the very best, most 'natural' treats for dogs. Also, I have heard that rawhides that get chewed really good and soft and moist, and then get left around, are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria. Heard of dogs getting sick. So... just to be safe ... my mom doesn't give them to me.
Some food for thought anyway.
[notify]
Pock

Always bite off- more than you- can chew!

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '05 10:08am PST 
Hi everyone, well...what do you reccommend in the place of rawhide treats/bones? I don't mind a replacement as long as it is just as satisfying to pock. He is not nearly as interested in nylo-bones as he is these delectible treats. I am concerned because, although it isn't often, Pock does eat these bones and loves them. Hes'a gulper too and that worries me.
So, say he 'gulped' a chunk down; how would I know if he has some sort of intestinal blockage? Would he become ill? not eat?
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '05 10:22am PST 
Hey Pock, see the thread titled PRAY FOR ME posted by Holly's mom yesterday. She DID get an intestinal perforation and blockage, but from a REAL bone. Still, the symptoms would be the same. Lethargy, inability to eat, throwing up, maybe fever if infected, etc. What's a good substitute? Who knows? Everything has a certain amount of risk. The safest thing is whatever you use for treats, monitor when consumed and pick up when not consumed so there's not a temptation lying around. I'm just a little guy, so I don't get rawhides much except those little chew sticks that get all mushy and soft, but they don't splinter, and I couldn't eat a whole one, so mom just watches me if I have one.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '05 10:40am PST 
I heard rawhide IS bad for dogs - not only because they can choke on it and the sharp edges, but also because rawhide expands when it is wet. I am a little dog and I have never been able to bite a piece off of my rawhide bone, but after I chew on it a while it expands to 2 or three times its size. That means for larger dogs who do swallow the pieces - it expands in your stomach. This causes intestinal blockage and all kinds of problems.

Good alternative (in my opinion): pizzles, bully sticks, cow tendons (I think they are smoked), pig ears... I chew on pizzles and I LOVE them (even though they are made out of bull penis). When I chew on these things, they tear off into shreads but don't expand like rawhide. I can chew for HOURS and there is still more left to chew. And I love them so much I ignore my mom...she says, "Brody! Brody!" then she walks towards me and I take my pizzle and run! She always tries to take the good stuff away.

You can buy pizzles and other animal parts usually at small pet stores. We get ours here: http://barkingdogbakeryokc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SRCH&Sto re_Code=BDB&Search=CATAGORY:%20DELI
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '05 10:52am PST 
We buy the Merrick brand Flossies and love them BUT I still get them taken away when they get all icky. They are beef tendon.

Mom will not give us much to chew on even though I LOVE to chew. She is too darn paranoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister is the one spoken about above. She was pooing and vomiting blood. Had no energy and was just very sick. She is recovering and hopefully will come home to us sometime next week God willing.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '05 11:02am PST 
as longs as you supervise your dog with any of these treats they should be fine. mommy has to watch me with mos chew things cause once they get to a certain size i like to swollow them. i've been know to swollow at least 2 inches of bully sticks and throw it right back up! but i love raw hide and if i don't have it i chew things i'm not supposed to.

an alturnative i would Not recommend are hooves! they have a tendancy to splinter and that can be dangerous!

but i do recommend raw bones, with marrow if you like, since they are uncooked it you boil them in hot water for about 10 min to clean it they are fine for your dog. since the bone isn't treated with anything or bleached it is soft enough for them to chew but not splinter. also, if your dog can have peanut butter or such, you can fill a kong or hollow bone with pb or the kong stuffing and freeze it over night, wet dog food works well too, then give it to them the next day it's safe and keeps them occupied.

hope that helps
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '05 11:22am PST 
"but i do recommend raw bones, with marrow if you like, since they are uncooked it you boil them in hot water for about 10 min to clean it they are fine for your dog. since the bone isn't treated with anything or bleached it is soft enough for them to chew but not splinter. "

With your recomendation are you prepared to take on the guilt if a dog owner follows it and then dies? My dog almost died (and still may) on a raw bone that supposedly would not splinter but guess what it DID! What you give your baby is your right but I would think twice on suggesting it.......
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5