GO!

Can a dog be mentally handicapped?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Fri Apr 14, '06 9:18pm PST 
So I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and she said her dog gave off behaviors that were similar to a mentally handicapped person. She was not trying to poke fun at her dog, she was being totally serious. I've never heard about this from anyone or known of any studies, but it peeked my curiousity.
What do you guys think? Has anyone ever heard of this?
(and no, I'm not looking for the responses of "my dog acts that way some time bol!" I'm looking for "real" answers.)
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Apr 14, '06 9:34pm PST 
Now I don't have any studies to back this up or anything, but dogs have brains just like humans, so it seems to me that things that go wrong with human brains could also go wrong with dog brains. Like there was this dog I wanted to adopt named Floppers had gotten brain damage as a puppy and so couldn't walk more than a few steps at a time before flopping down. Kinda like a human with severe brain damage to the part of the brain that controls walking.

So yeah, I think that things can go wrong with dog brains that would make them mentally handicapped, from chomosomal problems to gene mutations to incorrect chemical balance in the womb etc. etc.

Sabrina's best friend we think has a much lower IQ than he should and his owner and I truely do think he has some sort of mental handicap. He's an Italian Greyhound but he has an extremely hard time learning and understanding what is going on around him.
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Fri Apr 14, '06 9:38pm PST 
Oh, definitely, dogs can have brain damage or mental disorders. I don't have "medical studies" to back it up either but I know that there are some dogs that just "aren't right", and have been put to sleep before, etc, because of their disorders. I've seen it on Animal Cops before, they talked about it a little on there, but it was so long ago I don't remember.
[notify]

Parker

Canine Executive- Officer

Barked: Sat Apr 15, '06 3:41am PST 
We have a mentally handicapped cat- he's got a neurological disorder. He has trouble with his center of balance, he makes really crazy cackling noises (they're cute) and he blinks alot and tilts his head. He also walks kinda zig zaggy... There really isn't a name to what he has, other than something neurological. It could have been from anoxia at birth (lack of oxygen) or just a defect. But we love our Peetey anyways! I'd say if it can happen to people and cats, it could happen to dogs!
[notify]
Duke

Got Bones?

Barked: Sat Apr 15, '06 4:47pm PST 
can we come up with a doggie IQ test? actually, i think i saw something like that online. they find out how quickly a dog can find food (like a rat inside a maze), escape from under blanket, and other memory type tasks. certain breeds do learn faster and solve problems more quickly, so i'm sure that type of gradient also applies to dogs in general.

for me, i'm a "B" dog. smart enough to get by, with enough free time to party party
[notify]
meghan

PUHLLLEEEEAAAASE- throw my ball.

Barked: Sat Apr 15, '06 5:42pm PST 
i think dogs can have a mental disability. i am being treated for obessive compulsive disorder. i take prozac everyday. if i don't take it i pace and chew tennis balls 24/7 and if mommy doesn't put my food ball in the exact spot where i like it then i don't eat. i stare at the bowl until mommy puts it in the right spot. i used to do a bunch of other weird things too, but the medicine helps me stop that behavior.
[notify]
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Sat Apr 15, '06 6:06pm PST 
If dog can have neurological disorders then they can have mental ones. Some neurological disorders fall under the catagory of a mental disorder. Dogs get separation anxiety and can be very destructive or total wrecks when left alone. My dog goes into panic mode if she can't find me unless she's out in her pen or contained at home. If she's locked in my room that is fine by her. If I go out of sight away from home, forget it, she goes into panic search mode. I think that because she was abandoned by her family at a shelter, she is afraid I might not come back for her. It's almost like mild form of PTSD. She's much better than when she first came home. I couldn't leave her at all, she'd become very distressed. She didn't think I'd return when leaving her. It took (gradually) ignoring some barking and whining but it worked. She learned that I was coming back for her once she calmed down. She also became more confident as she settled in.

The little dog I watch has parkinson's. The vet told her mom that every day is a gift now. I also know a dog that has some brain damage. They can have most of the same disorders we do.
[notify]