GO!

Puppy Spayed looks like hernia

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Maggie

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 11:22am PST 
Maggie our 6mo. old mini goldendoodle was spayed last Thursday. On Monday we noticed a large lump under the incision. It is flesh color, not red, and not painful as she lets us rub it. Our vet said they dont know what it is and to watch it but said it could be a hernia. Does anyone have any good info to provide? I am a first time pet Mom and dont have any experience with this stuff
[notify]
Maribelle- CGC

I'm so cute that- I'm hardly in- trouble

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 2:18pm PST 
Hi Maggie's mom!

When Maribelle was spayed, she developed a hard lump directly under her incision site. Our vet clinic said this was a tissue reaction to the sutures and perfectly normal. They told us to be concerned about any oozing around the incision area as well as any gushy or soft lumps because they may suggest a hernia or seroma. I was very concerned during the healing process, too. I hope Maggie gets better soon.
[notify]
Marley

im a stinker

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 4:31pm PST 
When marley was spayed she got three large bumps on her incesion, she was having an allergic reaction ( the worse the vet had seen) . We monitered it everyday hoping that it would rip open ( it never did) Just keep an eye on it and if your really concerned take her to the vet ( we did MANY MANY TIMES!!!)
[notify]

Jasmine *ADOPTED*

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 4:38pm PST 
First I would like to know how in the world someone got a Golden and mini poodle to mate? I mean, was the dad the mini poodle, I guess it would have to be that way because if the mom was the poodle she would be too small to give birth to Golden mix puppies.
That just caught my eyesmile
Anyway, it does sound normal with all of the rescues I get spayed they almost always get that bump.
I would watch it though and take her to the vet if it doesn't go away soon, it may be a hernia or hemotoma that needs to be drained.
[notify]
Maggie

I'm still a- baby.. right?

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 7:57pm PST 
Oh the little flap there at the bottom? Yeah, my Maggie had that too and so did my sister's dog Ruby. My friend was the one that told me what it was (her dog had it too and she investigated it) and said it was perfectly normal. Maggie has been spayed for over a month now and it's gone.
[notify]
Inna

I'm Innariffic!

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 8:05pm PST 
Inna got spayed yesterday and I just noticed two small soft bumps right next to the incision. Just like Maggie said, but its not hard. It doesn't seem to bother Inna, so should I be worried?
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Fri Apr 14, '06 12:46pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your input.. its so hard to know b/c dogs dont talk !!! Her lump is actually very soft not hard at all, i'm not sure if thats good or bad. It hasnt gotten any bigger at all, so I made a vet appt for this coming tuesday since i guess its not an emergency. Just stressful.
About the mini poodle thing ; ) Yes the dad was a mini and the mom was a golden haha.. um It must have been artificial or I dont want to imagine. You can see the parents if you google 'buck branch kennels' b/c they have another litter coming. I highly reccomend the breed, she's such a sweetie!
[notify]
Inna

I'm Innariffic!

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 2:43pm PST 
We took Inna in to get a check up on her incision yesterday and he said that it is more thank likely a reaction to the internal stitches that happens in 90% of dogs that get spayed. He said it will probably be there for a few weeks, then slowly shrink and go away. smile

Edited by author Tue Apr 18, '06 2:44pm PST

[notify]
In Memory of- Jack

I am the- Honeybee

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 4:42pm PST 
Haven's seen any lumps after spay, but I have what my vet said was a seroma right now where I had a tumor and lymph node removed from my neck. At first it just looked like a little swelling, but got larger. It was very soft when my Mom touched it.
[notify]
Maggie

Trouble maker

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 6:29pm PST 
OUr Maggie had this too. At first we thought it was a hernia, but turned out to be an allergic reaction -a mild one. It disappeared after a week or so!
[notify]