GO!

CAN DOGS GET SICK FROM EATING BIRDS?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sara

My new name: - SUPER GLUE

Barked: Sat Apr 1, '06 4:51am PST 
Muttman Here:

I just read Cloe Mae's posting in Food and Nutrition.

She ate a wild bird and asked for comments.

The comments were all positive.

What I'm wondering about is:

Can Dogs get Avian Influenza, Bird Flu from eating or coming in contact with our feathered friends?

The Flu is becoming a global problem.
[notify]
Pearl ~ In- Memory Of

The Original

Barked: Sat Apr 1, '06 5:06am PST 
Good question. While the bird flu has not made it to America yet, I would say that doesn't mean it won't eventually. And avian flu is scary to say the least. A species jumping virus...

I know there have been cases of hundreds of ducks dying mysteriously around the Great Lakes area and squirrels too. It's believed the squirrels fed off the dead ducks. I never read whether they published what illness this was from, but it makes you aware of the possibility of other animals getting sick from the birds.

I also wonder about West Nile virus. Can this affect the dog if the bird the dog eats had it?

I now not all dogs that eat birds have caught and killed it, but some find it dead and then eat it. What if the bird died from West Nile virus?
[notify]