GO!

Taping or Gluing Ears

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Hendrix

Hendrix

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 3:24am PST 
What's your opinion on ears. Mom hopes my ears will stand up soon. Curious as to how and if its a good idea to glue or tape my ears?
[notify]
GIA

The Baddest- B*tch...

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 9:46am PST 
hi
if you're half golden retriever and just half shepherd (meaning you know that for sure and there arent any other erect ear breeds in your background), chances are you'll have "flyer" ears (kinda like a greyhound) or your ears will just flop straight down. you dont glue ears to make them stand... if they are meant to stand and you see them beginning to try, you can always have them taped by your vet. this isnt cropping, its merely putting a splint in the ear, taping and wrapping them. it still doesnt guarantee a stand.

i had a purebred german shepherd once that had one soft ear still @ 8months - i got them taped, gave her extra vitamins and supplements, massaged them 3x daily - all for a month... it stood for about 2 days then went back down.

on average, ears stand anywhere from 8 weeks - 6months. if you dont see any signs of trying to stand by then, i'd leave them alone.

i've never heard of using glue - someone please enlighten me.
[notify]
GIA

The Baddest- B*tch...

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 9:49am PST 
just wanted to add that length and thickness determine whether ears have the possibility of standing too...

for (extreme) instance - even with surgery - a basset hounds ears will never stand unless you cut 95% of the ear off like a pitt bull fighting crop.
[notify]

Reini

I'm not fat, I'm- thick-furred.

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 10:11am PST 
Your ears are a natural part of you, and should naturally be left alone to do what they will! Your mom should concerned about you growing up to be a wonderful, loving, fulfilling companion, not about your ears standing up. After all, we are mutts, you & me. We aren't showing, we have no specific conformation to uphold, and we live longer than other breeds because we picked up the strongest genetic traits from each of our parent breeds. In the long run, ears don't matter. Good luck!
[notify]
Hendrix

Hendrix

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 12:32pm PST 
Its not a serious matter if my ears stand up or not. My mom wouldn't go to any extreme like clipping my ears. But my big bro who is a German Shep mix his ears stand up. And I won't be going to any shows anytime soon because of my bloodline but I'm just as cute as those with papers. More of a curiosity of what ppl think about taping or gluing.. It doesn't seem that it would hurt me any like clipping. Mom read about gluing on germanshepherds.com you take a certain type of glue that you can buy at Walgreens and glue the tips of the ears together that's why you usually see alot of GSD puppies whos ears go straight to the middle of their head... its actually quite funny looking but its another method Mom has read about!
[notify]
Rory

Rory - I want to eat- Hendrix!

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 12:33pm PST 
Hendrix as long as I can still bite your ears I could care less if they stand up or not!
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 12:48pm PST 
Hate to disappoint you Hendrix, but it doesn't look like you inherited GSD ears. The way they look, shapewise and where they sit on your head, does not look like they will stand at any point.

As far as taping/gluing, I have heard of gluing to get them to stand. They glue the ears, and then tape them. Eventually, the glue wears off and the ears are supposed to stand. I have no problem with taping ears. There are many breeds that have this done to get the ears to stand. Several toy breeds and I believe some terriers do this as well.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 6:25pm PST 
I think Reini hit it on the head---natural is beautiful when it comes to ears. If your dog is mixed, there is no Breed Standard to uphold for any reason. So--just have fun with the ears (and the rest of the dog!) that you have. I'm betting he will be happier for it!
[notify]
Kaltag "Kallie"

Mushing in the- SNOW!!!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '05 8:05pm PST 
Don't worry, floppy ears can be very endearing. Before we got Sher, all of our dogs had had erect ears. I wished at first that Sher did too, but he seemed to cute and puppy-like with his ears that they grew on me. I'm a fan of floppy ears now.
[notify]
Joker

Be true to your- pack

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '05 7:03am PST 
Just gotta post here. If you notice, one of my ears stands up, and one flops down. Always have, always will. smile

Like Kieko, I have no problem with taping or other short-term binding and non-surgical procedures. But hey, it's your ears. Other threads have expressd no probs with cosmetic surgery, including ear clipping and tail bobbing - that's what it is - cosmetic surgery.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3