GO!

Eating Mud?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Marley

gimme treats!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 7:07pm PST 
In the past week I've been noticing that Marley has been eating mud/dirt when he gets the chance. He will also try to eat some paint chips off of the bottoms of walls and pretty much picks up such things as lint, hair, leaves in his mouth (these however, he does not seem to swallow).

At first I just thought he was being a puppy by chewing on things and getting things into his mouth but he really does eat the mud he gets into his mouth as well as the pieces of the wall/paint chips.

Has anyone had a dog do this before? I'm not sure why he's doing it, maybe some sort of deficiency in his diet?

Today he was having slight diarrhea (his stools are soft and sometimes even just liquid), could this be a result of him eating mud and pieces of the wall? Or maybe something else like worms?

Any help would be appreciated. We are planning on setting up a vet appt. to get him checked out this week.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '06 7:58pm PST 
Obviously eating mud and paint chips is not a good thing to do. However, I have a Weim who on occasion will eat chunks of dirt. I'm assuming it is for the fun of it (!!???) as her diet is super, and she only does this every blue moon during the summer. It is awful to hear that grating sound coming from her teeth when she chews a clump of dirt!!
The paint chips may have lead in them. That would concern me greatly. Eating dirt can indeed cause parasite problems. If the diarrhea continues, I'd get Marley to the vet. I do not leave the Weims out unatteneded, even then Britta can manage a few gobbles of dirt. So--watch Marley as carefully as you can to hopefully stop this behavior that may harm him.
[notify]
Brandy-licious!!

I'm A Great- Big Chocolate- Kiss!!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '06 2:55am PST 
Brandy is also a dirt eater and so are almost all of the dogs she hangs out with. We get together with the other dogs and their humans so they can play and before long, they all start ripping up the grass and eating dirt. Once she ate so much dirt that the next morning, her poops were very hard and slippery to pick up because I was basically just picking up mud she had "recycled". It's bizarre to say the least. Brandy also eats sticks and tree bark when she can get it. Last summer I had her out playing with 3 other dogs and it was sooo freaking weird, all at once, all 4 dogs went to a tree and started eating the bark. I would definitely put a stop to the paint chip eating though. Good luck!!
[notify]

Storm

Silly Puppy

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '06 7:12am PST 
I used to eat dirt... dirt and dog poo. But mom figured out want was wrong and ended it quick.
Dirt eating is usually cause by 1 of 2 things:
Pica - an iron deficiency "anemia"
(this may explain you eating paint chips too)
Or it is a nervous / behavior problem.

Mom took me to the vet and after blood tests, anemia was ruled out.
Mom watched me more in the yard and realized I was eating it when I was bored and nervous. Mom cleared this up when she built a run for us and for some reason I don't want to eat dirt or poo in the run. Perhaps I feel more secure.

So I would go for a blood test just to be sure.
Good luck!
[notify]
Sol

Zoolander

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '06 9:09am PST 
I love to eat mud! It is one of my favorite past times, as well as sticks, leaves, tree bark (right off of the tree...my mom says I'm part beaver). I get fed an excellent diet, and because I work at a dog park with my mom, I have to have a stool sample checked for parasites once every six months. The tests always come up free of parasites.

I don't know why I love to eat mud and other things so much...it's just fun! smile
[notify]