GO!

How much does it cost to get spayed?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♥Kona♥

I'm tired of the- "High and- Mighty" ones

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '06 7:52pm PST 
Hi!

My name is Laura, and I am Kona's mommy.

I am looking to get her spayed when she is old enough, but want to know, what are the price ranges??
[notify]
Rosie- *FOUND*

www.findrosie.co- m

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:26am PST 
It depends where you live. Rosie was around $250, including getting her microchipped. We recently discussed this on our GSD board and the answers varied between $30 (subsidized by the Humane Society) and $500 in San diego.
[notify]
Lyla

Don't breed or- buy while- animals die!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 6:24am PST 
Being from NC and working in animal welfare I know there are plenty of low-cost spay/neuter options for you. Call your local animal shelter and ask. There are mobile clinics, Vets that will accept vouchers, etc. Our clinic will spay for as little as $30 up to $75 depending on weight. Most Vets prefer to spay early, anywhere from 8 weeks on. Spay surgery is very simple and routine generally, so there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars any longer as some Vets will charge. Get it done quickly and cheaply and buy some toys with the money you will save!
Thanks for spaying!
[notify]

Spencer

Born to love

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 12:34pm PST 
Lyla,

I've personally never heard of a vet that would spay that early. Around here, they will usually allow for a dog to be spayed at around five to six months of age, depending on the size of the dog. As for spaying, here it is usually between $100-200
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 1:00pm PST 
As others have said, it realllly varies. It varies by vet, age, breed, weight, whether they've gone through their first heat or not, etc. I recommend calling around miscellany vet clinics and ask for quotes. smile
[notify]
Cashew

Yep, I'm a nut- !!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:07pm PST 
Here is the Columbus, Ohio area it is about 100-115 for the surgery and then about 8-15 for the antibiotics for Cashew who is a min-pin, about 6.5 pounds (now) and about 4 mos (would have it done at about 7 mos),
I have been worrying the same about getting Blackie neutered..... his surgery is about the same cost. He 's a Basset about 45 pounds and 8 mos old.
You would think/hope they would be somewhat cheaper since they preach having it done.
[notify]
♥Kona♥

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:15pm PST 
Well, the cheapest is 90 bucks...... no overnight stay, no pain meds.

I pretty much told that guy we would never go there.

The best price was $127 bucks, at a local doc in my hometown ( not even 15 miles away) and that included a full exam, rabies shot, overnight stay, and pain meds.

They were very nice to me on the phone, and awnsered every question I had about spaying. The Vet nurse (i am not sure what they are called) even talked about Kona's mixes, and what I could expect as she grows older!

Oh, and all the vets I called said because she is so small, we will need to wait until she is 5-6 months of age. They also told me the reason it costs so much is for a smaller dog, they use smaller instraments, which can cost more.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:27pm PST 
Same thing here, my vet says no less than 5 months, no more than 6 (to avoid first heat). I can't believe a vet would fix a dog at 8 weeks. A friend of mine said she fixed her wheaton at 8 weeks, I have to ask her where!

Kaiser was fixed at 6 months for $150.00, he was 46 lbs. Maggie will be fixed on March 6 at 5 months and change. She'll be around 30 lbs by then and I'm expecting around the same amount or more because females tend to cost more.

Drop off at 8:30 in the morning and pick up at 2 in the afternoon.

I'm in Ontario, Canada
[notify]
♥Kona♥

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:32pm PST 
Well, according to most of the vets I talked to, they keep the females overnight just to make sure that everything is alright. Instead of just a simple snip-snip like the boys, they are cutting their stomach open, so it is a bit more painful, and it could possibly hurt the puppy. That also adds a few more bucks to the bill...if ya know what I mean.
[notify]
Cashew

Yep, I'm a nut- !!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:38pm PST 
hmmm .... my vet said not till about 7 mos with Cashew. Maybe I should double check into that. They didnt say anything about overnight either. Just told me about the antibiotics.
they also told that with Blackie, he would need and E-collar for about $10. Poor guy ... gets his manhood taken away and has to look like a dork too. LOL
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4