GO!

Home Alone - How long is too long?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '06 3:34pm PST 
I'm considering placing Toby in a doggy daycare so he doesn't have to be home alone when I'm at work.

Just wanted to take a brief survey to see how many days a week I should place him in doggy daycare.

(1) How long does ur furbaby stay home alone during the work week?

(2) Do you place your furbaby in doggy daycare?

(3) If yes, how many days a week does ur furbaby attend doggie daycare?

Thanks everyone.......

Toby and Mommy
[notify]
Morgan

The Mighty- Labradorus--Rarr- !

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '06 4:17pm PST 
My mommy is at home most days so we usually don't have to worry about this. I think the longest I've been home alone was 8 -9 hours and mom was frantic worried about me at that time. Most of the time when she knows in advance she will be gone for a long time she calls the pup sitter or boards me at the vet if necessary.
[notify]
Blaise

I'm number One!!

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '06 7:33pm PST 
We have three dogs now so this may be a little different than your situation. At first though I just had Blaise, and would be gone from the house for ten hours for work, but she also used a potty pad so I didn't have to worry about her blatter. So I would take her to Playcare like once a week for socialization and to tire her out. It was all around a good situation at Playcare, I wouldn't be able to take her every day cause that would cost alot alot of money. I don't think it's that awful to leave your dog behind as long as you know for sure wherever they are in the house is completely doggy- proofed. Now we have all the bigger dogs, so one of us will come home to let them out at the middle of the day, and I don't feel so bad leaving them home since they intertain themselves. Good luck!!
[notify]

Bessie

Adopt a dog - save a life

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 6:12am PST 
We leave Bessie for 10 hours on work days. It's not ideal, but I think she's fine. Daycare is very expensive and I'm not sure how much she'd like it anyway. She is not a big fan of big groups of dogs and a lot of the daycares I've seen are just big rooms with dogs playing all day long. If we have to be away for longer, we have a dogwalker come by in the late afternoon.
[notify]
Samantha

Extra Special

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 8:32am PST 
Ours varies. My huby is on 2nd shift every 2 months, so when he's on that, Sammy is only home alone for about 2 hours between when he leaves and when I get home. Sometimes less depending on which office I'm at.
But when he's on 1st shift, she'll be home alone for anywhere from 7-8 hours depending on when he starts his workday.
She is crated however. We would like to put her in Doggy Day care but can't afford it.
[notify]
Cosmic- Isabel- Roverandom

To Infinity and- Beyond!

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 8:47am PST 
We're left alone at most for eight hours. And before we're left alone that long we get walked and get to run around in the yard.
[notify]
Dane

Ummm why aren't- you doing what I- want??

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 9:01am PST 
How long Dane is home usually depends on my school or work schedule. Monday and Tuesdays are my long days so he's home around 8-9 hours. I usually gate him in the kitchen and he does fine. I will however start clinicals here soon so I'll be gone alot more which is why we have enrolled him in doggie daycare. He'll probably only go once maybe twice a week and not all day. We start this week but I'm only starting him going a couple of hours a day to get used to it. If he doesn't like it I'll have to look into a dog sitter/walker coming to walk him and play with him while I'm gone.
[notify]
Dusty

Food is meant to- be shared with- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 10:00am PST 
I used to work for a dog day care. Most of the dogs that came, their people would work the normal eight hour shift but they didn't want their dog to stuck at home all day. Many of the dogs came because they were a high energy dog and needed the playing all day so that they came home tired and happy. Even if the dog really didn't need the day care, many came for the socialization and companionship that was provided. Not all day cares are expensive, you just have to look around and see what is available to you.
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 10:03am PST 
When Vincent was a youngster he went to daycare twice a week. DH and I had very similar work schedules so without daycare he would have been left home alone for 8 1/2 hours four times a week. Way too much! He stayed in daycare until he tuned 3 and had a little less energy.

Now we work different days and hours so we're leaving them once a week for 8 1/2 hours - Rosie isn't as high drive so she's fine staying at home.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '06 10:08am PST 
Hey Toby,

You sure are cute puppy

OK so Mom works from home but sometimes she has to be gone for a long time. Anything over 5 hours and she arranges for a friend or neighbor to come and let me out for a potty break and some play time or a little walk. I am fine alone in the house... Once she had to leave me for 12 hours! But her friend came over and fed me dinner and took me for a little walk. She is looking into a doggie daycare though cause sometimes she doesn't want to impose on her friend to come take care of me.

Heard you met Tasha's Mom.. Isn't she great? I luv her to death! After viewing your page last week I knew you were two peas in a pod!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7