GO!

Sleep - How much is too much?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '06 7:13pm PST 
Hi Everyone!~ My name is Toby and I'm a 6 month old Maltese puppy. Mommy was wondering how much sleep is too much? I usually sleep through the night and have a few long naps during the day. I would say I sleep on average between 12-18 hours a day. Is that normal? Could it mean something more serious??

How much do you guys sleep?

Anyone out there with some advice or comments?

Thanks,
Toby
[notify]
Monty

It snowed!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '06 8:13pm PST 
Hi Toby!
I think you're sleep schedule seems about right, after all you're a growing boy! I slept a lot too, especially after playing a lot or walking etc. I think we're just like toddlers and we need to recoup the energy we expend exploring. It takes a lot of concentration learning everything we need to know to protect our humans!
Happy snoozing!
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '06 9:54pm PST 
I sleep/slept a lot too. As long as there is no commotion going on, I can sleep. Or if I have been playing for a while, I'll just go to sleep. My mom worries about me sometimes too, but I think its pretty normal. 12 hours is definitely normal. 18 hours might be a lot, but for a puppy, that's probably about right.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '06 10:56pm PST 
Thanks Monty for ur 2 cents... Mommy feels better now.

Brody: Oh good!~ I'm glad to hear that my sleeping habits are not out of whack. I don't want mommy to worry so much. She's always worrying about me. Like why am I not eating enough, why do I sleep so much, why haven't I gone potty yet, why don't I wanna play, why am I running around in circles like crazy...... Mommy is such a worry wart.
[notify]
Bailey

It's a ruff life- being a dog...

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '06 5:45am PST 
Toby, you are a cutie. Bailey did sleep a ton as a puppy and I worried too but the vet said when they do not sleep a lot is when you need to worry when they are puppies. They get evened out as they grow older. I know how y our mom feels about worring about everything btu that is the great thing about this site. You can ask and people here always have some great advice because we have all been through it. Good luck with your cute puppy and we will talk to you later.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '06 12:02pm PST 
Thanks Bailey!~ I guess most mommy's worry too much? But its good to know that sleeping a lot is normal for pups. I like taking naps!~ A pup needs to gather all the energy it can to play, rite? Woof Woof.
[notify]
Chaz

To Know Me is to- Love Me

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '06 12:15pm PST 
Hi Toby,

I'm 8 months old and I sleep through the night about 7 or 8 hours then I eat breakfast and then I take a nap for about 2.5 hours and then I play and then I take a few more naps in between dinner and bedtime (maybe one hour or two each nap) so I probaby sleep about 14-15 hours a day on average and I am a happy, healthy pup. Sometimes I'm not actually sound asleep though but just relaxing and basking in the sun by my window.

I just read on Pet Place that 9 month old puppies sleep from 15-18 hours a day so it looks like we are right on track.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '06 7:13pm PST 
Toby - my mom's a worry wart too! I bet she takes great care of you too! wink
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '06 9:19pm PST 
Woo Hoo!~ Yay!~ Mommy is super relieved now that all of you sleep about the same amount. But let me tell u a little secret, there are many mornings when I wake up before Mommy and Daddy wake up and just play or chew. I guess Mommy and Daddy are sometimes unsure of what time I wake up.....
[notify]
Bailey

I love- everyone:)

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '06 5:32am PST 
Toby - My mommy is a lot like your mommy she worries about EVERYTHING!!! Daddy tells Mommy we can't call the vet for everything. But I am mommy's first baby so there is so much she doesn't know!

I sleep a lot also, when I first came home Mommy was really surprised just how much I sleep, but now she wishes I would sleep more! When Mommy and Daddy come home from work and I have been home all day alone all I want to do is play, but on weekends when Mommy and Daddy are home all day I sleep a lot more.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2