GO!

Human Benedryl for Dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Scout: - Always in- our hearts

Got- Aloha?

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '06 8:16pm PST 
Hi-
Anyone giving humane benedryl for dogs with allergies??
Paws,
Scouters
PS Dusty thanks in advance your advice!!
[notify]
Nibbler

I just farted on- your pillow :)

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '06 8:25pm PST 
hey,

not personally, but i know lots of people who do (i'm a vet tech...er NIBBLER"S MOM is a vet tech!)

It is good to have on hand for emergency things (vaccine reactions, hives) but in the long term for something like a food or inhaled allergy, it may not bestrong enough and you might need something prescription from the vets. It seems that sometimes Benadryl isn't enough and dogs still itch... but it might work for you.

It also works well for carsickness! That's why Nibbler has it! For long car trips! But be warned, while it makes most dogs/people sleepy, it can also cause some dogs to get hyper. Fortunately, I am one of the lucky ones (nibbler sleeps like a log on it.)
[notify]
Dusty

Food is meant to- be shared with- me.

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '06 9:09pm PST 
Hi Scout,

Have you tried a new diet? Benedryl is good for a one time reaction, but it just masks the symptoms, not addressing the problem. I started to do some research for you, since I know that you have such severe allergies. One thing I found is if you give a tsp of local honey to the food, this will help build antibodies against the local allergens. It has to be a honey made near you since its the local plants. Did you have an allergy test done?

Another thing you could do, to find what foods bother you, is to make the food. Give mushed sweet potatoes and fish for one meal or boiled chicken and sweet potatoes and see if that bothers you. Eat this meal for four weeks and see if your symtoms start to improve. If so than you know that you aren't allergic to these foods and you need a very basic food or just have your mom cook for you. I think cooking food is great for dogs with allergies. Its not that difficult and can actually be cheaper than dog kibble. You can add a dog vitamins or something like dried kelp to give added nutrients and a fish oil for coat conditioner. I hope you are on the mend and see if anything like this works for you. Also here are some sites about dog allergies and what has worked for them. These are a must read.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111

htt p://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_allergies.htm
[notify]

♥- Pooh-Angel- ♥

Pretty Pooh

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 6:10am PST 
I have taken a small amount of Benedryl. Not that it helped me b/c I didnt have an allergy. But anyhow it didnt hurt me either. -- Pooh

my vet has recommended lots of human drugs for my animals. Like bonine for car sickness, pepto for diahrea/vomiting, Benedryl for allergies, L-lysine for my cats feline herpes battles, or even a small dose of aspirin. Of course you should always consult your vet b/c human doses and animal doses are quite different. --- Pooh's mom
[notify]

Got- Aloha?

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 7:56am PST 
Hi,

All my tests came back normal (blood, thyroid). We just changed from Lamb and Rice to Chicken and Rice. We were in the process of moving, so the oil pills were put on the back burner, I have started them back up again. I wonder if some of it too, now that he is just licking his paws (hair growth is back and everything on its own) if some of it is behavior. Now it's like a habit of his. He does it when he lies down and gets comfy. We are going to try working on it behaviorally.
Thanks for all the advice.
We'll keep ya'll posted.
[notify]
Dopper- Broer, CGC

Pet- me....please!!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 8:19am PST 
Hello! Sorry about your allergies. Do your parents know that Wellness makes a dog food that has like 5 ingredients? It's great for dogs with allergies. I think it's called something like the "Simple Formula."

When my mom gives me Benedryl, she gives me the kind that is dye-free. It's safe for us dogs.

Good luck. I hope something eases your suffering soon!
[notify]
Dusty

Food is meant to- be shared with- me.

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 10:02am PST 
Good to here that Scout is getting better. That must be slightly frustrating that the blood tests have come back normal. If he is just licking because he's comfy and laying down, sounds like a habit. Simon will do this too, its like a comforting thing. Whenever I see him do that, I just tell him to stop. Another thing you can do, someone I knew did this, they put the bitter apple spray on the dogs paws to keep him from licking himself. This dog had a pretty bad allergy and he was allergic to everything. I'm not sure if this is the route you want to go. Good to here an update on him.
[notify]
Logan- ♥

You say spoiled- like it's a bad- thing.

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 4:22pm PST 
We use it for allergic reactions but only when the vet advises to do so. Our dogs don't have chronic allergies - just sometimes to the grass/pollen in the spring. If it affects their sinuses or eyes, we give them a little. If it makes their feet itch, we use the cream on them instead of giving them a dose orally.

I don't think I'd want to use on a regular basis - although, using it for long trips to help them sleep would be good. We went on a 4 hour trip (one way) a few months ago and they both a nervous wreck the whole time. Logan likes the car but not for that long and Daisy doesn't like it at all. I'll have to remember that little trick!
[notify]

Got- Aloha?

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 11:46pm PST 
Yeah Dusty... while I know the licking paws started as allergy... I think it might be a habit he is just keeping now. I carry around bitter apple in the house... all I have to do is shake it and he stops.
[notify]
Napoleon

Napoleon- our Kissy Boy

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '06 4:48am PST 
Vet recommended Benadry to us for car sickness,
we used it once, he did not get sick, but was groggy ALL day.
Also,
we were told to use Benadryl for allergic reaction to vaccines,
for a few days.
Napoleon, at 23 lbs., was told to take 1 benadryl.
Its not good for long term.
Glad your tests came back ok!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2