GO!

Help! How can I kill rats without hurting Misty?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Misty

I'm super duper- feroscious!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 5:46am PST 
I have a big problem. I have RATS. No, not Misty, who looks like one when she runs in the mud for too long. Real live gigantic monster-like rats. They're indoors too, which makes it more disturbing. I've found their feces and heard them running around, and unfortunately my terrier is a bit of a primadonna so she isn't going to hunt them down for me.

I'm terrified of putting rat poison or anything like that which might hurt Misty. Are there any other, safer, alternatives?

I read once that putting baking soda attracts cockroaches, and once they eat it, they die naturally without spraying any poison anywhere. Is there something like that which can be done for rodents?

Please give me some advice.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 5:56am PST 
Hubby used to work in a hardware store and he has some reccomendatations. There are completely enclosed traps that you can buy. You can get ones that electrocute the rat or ones that are a "live trap" to catch the rat and then you release it. These traps are completely enclosed so Misty can't get in. Just don't get any kinds with poisened bait because the rats can remove the bait and leave it lying around, or they can eat the bait, die, and then Misty might eat a rat and get poisened herself.

If the rats haven't been there for too long you might try an ultrasonic pest repelling thingie that plugs into the wall. It affects some dogs but not others, so Misty may or may not have problems with it. Basically it just emits annoying sounds for the rats. But if the rats have been tehre a while, this probably won't work.

Good luck!
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 5:56am PST 
Having lived in the country, here's what I can offer. You need to find where they are getting in and seal up all those places. Are you keeping any pet food out where they can get at it? Store all pet food in closed containers, and heaven forbid, make sure they cannot get into your pantry. You should be able to put down the D-Con pelleted poison in places where you suspect they have been, like under the sink, behind appliances, etc. Those should be places that Misty cannot go anyway. If you have an attic, toss several of the bait trays into the attic in all directions. Oh, and get some cats. Seriously, I'm guessing you live in the country. A couple of outdoor cats to patrol the premises, plus a nice indoor kitty to play with Misty - and that should take care of your problems. Don't know about the ultra-sonic and all those gadgets. Old fashioned methods work best. You just have to remove all access and keep vigilent to make sure they cannot get into any food stuff. Good luck.

- Pokie's mom
[notify]

Misty

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 6:03am PST 
Poquito,

I do have cats that are outdoors (they belong to my next door neighbor, but they hang out around my house anyway). I don't live in the country, though. I live in Miami confused

I'm just terrified that, with the attic being directly above my room, and Misty staying in that general area... that she'll find a dead rat that's been poisoned and die. I'd rather keep poison as a last resort.

Sabrina,

I'll try that noise emission thing. You say that I can get it at a hardware store?
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 6:19am PST 
Yeah, you should be able to get it at a hardware store-- hubby worked at ACE so I know they probably carry it. Misty may or may not be able to hear it, though. There's no way to know until you try so save the receipt!

Personally I wouldn't reccomend D-Con or other baits. I, too, would be worried about rats eating the bait then dying somewhere where Misty has access to them. Or they can die in your walls which is super gross. And also if the rats go outside to die the neighbors cats might eat them and die.
[notify]
Moose

I live to play - Moose

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 6:27am PST 
Another way is at night before you go to bed, sit saucers of any soft drink, such as coke, out. Rodents can not belch, so the carbonation will kill them.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 6:34am PST 
Moose, that's really interesting. Do you have any data to back that up? The only reason I ask is because I know that scientists have used rats to study the effects of soft drinks in aluminum cans vs. glass bottles. Here is the link to that study. They gave the rats soft drinks for three weeks, so they should have died from not burping if that really happened I would think.

Hubby also just told me that D-con is Warfarin, which is an anti-coagulent perscribed to people with heart disease. It takes weeks and many injestions to get high enough levels for the rats to die of internal bleeding. Not a good death! I'd rather be electrocuted than die of internal bleeding! But the good thing is that eating one dead rat probably wouldn't kill Misty or the neighborhood cats since it is a cumulative effect.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 7:37am PST 
Misty, I was going to suggest that you get the rats yourself since we yorkies are ratters, you know. smile I wish my mom would let me at a rat. Once I got close to it though, I would probably freak out.

Maybe you can borrow your neighbor's cats and let them loose in your house for a little while.

I hate mice, rats, etc. Good luck!
[notify]
Baron

"I love Ali"

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 8:29am PST 
We had rats too (in the city) and we plugged up all the holes (put steel wool around the plumbing under the sink; behind the dishwasher; and they quit coming in the house. We set rat traps outside in a crawl space where the dogs couldn't get to; we killed 3 rats and then no more rats - I thought we were infested! So you might try good old fashioned rat traps, see how many you get.
[notify]
Misty

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '06 11:16am PST 
Thanks everybody. It seems like I have a lot of alternatives that don't involve poison at all.

Brody I wish I could just set Misty loose on them, but she's a little "special" and is afraid of most things. She tried to say hello to a cat the other day and it hissed at her, and now she' s terrified of every cat in the neighborhood. The only thing I've seen her chase (besides my socks as I'm walking) is lizards, and she gives up pretty quickly.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2