GO!

I can't stop chewing my feet!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

I am so emo.

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '05 4:31pm PST 
When Maggie first came to live with us in August, she started to chew her feet after about 3 weeks. I've had dogs with allergies before who chewed their paws.. but not like this.

Maggie focused on the tip of her middle "toe" and nibbled the black of her pawpad right off! She even got around the Buster collar the vet gave us, no matter how big it was!

So we ended up putting a sock on her foot and taping it to keep it in place. She's been a sock wearing dog ever since (unless she's outside on walks). And even though the wound has long since healed.. if the sock is off, she will start gnawing upon that spot again.

Then yesterday... she started chewing the other foot in the exact same spot. The tip of her middle toe, pulling the leathery skin of the paw pad off.

The vet is going to give us allergy meds.. but if that doesn't work, she think it might be some kind of neurosis.

Has anyone had this happen with their dog?
[notify]
Trudy Wu

Always a- Princess

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '05 8:13pm PST 
I would see a good allergy vet. A dermatologist. I am sure it is not neurosis. I don't know why people say that..... It itches.

My momma took me to a great vet. We tried many things including just antihistamines. Didn't work.

Well, a dermatologist was the answer. He did a skin test for allergies. Now I take allergy shots each week from my special serum. I take antihistmine too. There are great things to put on your feet to make them itch less.

Ask your vet if you have a yeast infection. That was my problem with my feet. I took a pill to kill that yeast and my feet got better

Now, the first thing you should do it check your food. What do you eat? Then check if you momma or someone used a new floor cleaner or you have a new bed. It could also be the winter cold fronts, dry air, pollen etc.

First figure out if your food it the best for you. Best and easiest thing to do. Keep trying to figure out the cause. I hope you get better.
[notify]
Dusty

Food is meant to- be shared with- me.

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '05 9:51pm PST 
I also think its an allergy. I have heard of it becoming a neurosis and maybe it is on that one foot, but for her to start chewing on the other foot, makes me think of an allergy. A dogs skin is like one of their organs, when nutrients are absorbed from a food, they go to all the internal organs first and the skin is the last to get anything. Also the skin is the last place for toxins in the system to settle. For Dusty, I am able to control his allergies with just a change in diet, which includes his kibble(its really important to have a high quality brand)cooked meats, veggies and his oil supplement. Here are some articles about this.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Articles.asp?ID=105

http:/ /www.onlynaturalpet.com/Articles.asp?ID=121
[notify]

Gloryficous

No- sleeping...only- playing!

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '05 10:31pm PST 
I'm gonna disagree here and say I think its a compulsion. My friends had a beagle that would compulsively chew on her sides until they were raw and bald. They put her on the doggy prozac and it made all the difference in the world. I would ask your vet about it.
[notify]
Amber

C'mon mom lets- go for a ride in- the jeep

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '05 7:04pm PST 
Look up lick granuloma. Her chewing doesnt sound like the same spot as this but this could be a possibility too. Amber chews on both her back paws we changed food, did everything people tod us to do. We sat & figured out when this chewing started and it started right after we changed or floor from carpet to pergo, she did not like the change. So we think its a nervous problem, one of the things that causes this.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '05 8:08pm PST 
Well I would say have the vet carefully check the pawpads but it sounds like they already did this... My dog licked or chewed her middle toes of one foot raw while I was away on vacation (I had someone watching her but they didn't notice it frown ) When I came home and saw it I checked over her foot and I found a VERY small but protruding lump down in between her toes (it was hard to see), it was very raw and inflamed and must have been painful which is why she was chewing. It was thankfully not a tumor, it went away with antibiotics and we also gave her benadryl for any itching, and she stopped chewing (I tried a sock over it but she chewed that off so we used an e-collar while it was healing.)

Another thing you may want to consider is it could be a food allergy. Does the food you use contain corn or wheat? Many dogs are allergic to these ingredients. Soy can also cause a problem. Chewing of the feet is a common symptom of food allergies as well as environmental.
[notify]
Trudy Wu

Always a- Princess

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '05 8:09pm PST 
OH! Please do not use a drug. Allergies are very common. It would be very sad to over look that.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Sat Dec 24, '05 9:04pm PST 
I guess the self mutilation could be caused by any or all of the things mentioned already. But I'd start with a nutritionist (not your vet!) who could help you decide about a new food to feed. I'd try that first, as this could easily be a food allergy. Perhaps the itching starts the chewing, then it progresses to a compulsive thing. Keep us posted please.
[notify]
Gloryficous

No- sleeping...only- playing!

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '05 8:40pm PST 
I should add to my earlier post. My friends' only resorted to medicating their dog after ruling out all other medical possibilities, such as allergies.
[notify]
Amanda aka- Mandy

I love- everybody, let's- kiss!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '06 4:27pm PST 
Mandy has a lick granulomas on one of her legs and we have done everything too. She is currently on longterm antibiotics and steroids and has an e-collar. She can still chew around the e-collar if she really wants too and it's the really really huge one! What foods do you all use for your allergic dogs? My vet thinks Mandy has allergies but he didn't mention food. She eats Nutro Natural Choice.

Edited by author Mon Mar 13, '06 5:13pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2