|Barked: Sun Oct 23, '05 5:31pm PST |
|Leeloo, it's all in what your priorities are... hubby and I are both graduate students. We make combined less than $30,000 a year. We support 6 animals (one dog, two cats, two guinea pigs and a gecko) and live in one of the most expensive places in the united states. Rent for a 450 square foot place is $1,175 a month including water, just to give you an idea. Our priority is health (probably because I am also ill and take three meds daily, adding to our monthly expenses). We have decided to eat organic food (or at least pesitcide free) and feed our animals Innova Evo. We buy cage free eggs and hormone free milk. We buy seventh generation and other such cleansers. Yes, we've given up a lot for this. We rarely go out to eat. We haven't been to see a movie in years. My newest clothes are hand-me-downs from my sister that I got 6 months ago. We cut our own hair. So the question is more of what you choose to spend money on. It's fine to me that you choose to save money and purchase conventional products, it's just I think everyone should know about the differences between conventional and natural cleansers so they can make their own choice.
Yes, you're correct natural things cause allergies. However, there are far more chemicals in conventional cleaners than there are natural things in seventh generation and the like. So you have a greater chance of being exposed to an allergen simply by virtue of numbers of things in the product. In addition, if you're concerned about allergies, you can always read the label of the product. Most natural products are based on citrus oils or mint oils in my experience, so if you're fine with those things, you're probably fine with the natural cleaners.
My point isn't so much on the allergy side as the build up of toxic chemicals (you refered to peanuts as toxic, however peanuts are an allergy that is toxic only to those allergic so I'm not considering peanuts here). Chemicals can enter your dog's bloodstream by passing through their paws and also by them eating them. A chemical might accumulate in your dog if they can't metabolize it, leading to a higher and higher concentration of that particular chemical in your dog's blood. The higher the concentration, the more likely it is that the dog will have some bad effects, be it simply feeling bad or having a severe reaction or getting cancer.
Personally, I choose not to take the risk-- with my body or my pets. I fully understand that other people view this issue differently and might have other priorities in their lives. That is fine with me... I am just trying to get the information out there. If someone hadn't told me about it, I never would have known, after all!
Edited to add: Snowy, with your definiton of non-toxic things still causing nausea, diareah, vomiting etc I still wouldn't want to use them! I don't care what it's called... if it can hurt me or my pets then I will think twice about using it!
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|