GO!

What to look for in a good Dobe breeder?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sandy

Puh-leez, just- let me sleep- already!

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 6:35pm PST 
Hubby and I will be adding a Doberman to our family after he gets out of the Marine Corps, and I was starting to do some breed research.

What are some qualities/traits to look for in a good Doberman breeder? What are the qualities to run away from?

We are avid believers in obediance training, especially for a large breed such as the Doberman...
[notify]
Takoda CGC

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 4:35pm PST 
If you are looking for a couple of Dobermans, even just one, there are lots of Doberman Rescue Groups with wonderful Doberkids just looking for a home. The Group we adopted Takoda from has many beautiful dogs avaliable and you definitely can find the perfect Dobe there. In fact, if your husband is getting out of the Marines, there is a gentleman in Special Forces who is being Combat Deployed shortly and has to find a home for his two beautiful Dobes. The Rescue Group is trying to find someone to take both dogs since they have been together since puppies. They are about 3 years old and well trained and very well behaved. Love kids and other dogs.

Do I sound like I want to find a home for them? If Takoda wasn't blind and I wasn't unsure of how he would react to me sharing my time with two other Dobes, they would be with me. I was in Special Forces myself, in the early 60's and feel a kinship with that gentleman.

Anyway, I've had Dobermans most of my life and they are outstanding members of the family. They need a family life and will lean towards one person and you do have to establish the pack order. But they are loyal, smart and love working and playing. Most are very easy to train and respond well to correction.

As for a breeder, if you aren't going to show the dog, that piece of paper means nothing. Check out some Doberman Rescue Groups and see what's available. There's just something Special about a dog that's been Rescued. Something other dogs just don't have. Somewhere along the line, their heart and soul gets bigger.

Good luck and if you would like to check out those Doberkids, drop me a line and I'll steer you to the site where we got Takoda.
[notify]
Sandy

Puh-leez, just- let me sleep- already!

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 12:14pm PST 
Yes, I saw that post, and unfortunately, we are stationed in Hawaii for the time-being and Hawaii has a terribly strict quarantine law, and as much as I would love to take those dogs in I couldn't bear to house them in quarantine for 120 days, it would make me sick. frown I wish there was something we could do.

We aren't going to be ready for a Dobe for another year or two, but it's always fun to start the research! I will be looking into rescue groups as well, it's just hard not to want to take them all in!!
[notify]

Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 1:44pm PST 
Have you considered adopting a Doberman? Rescued dogs usually cost much less than dogs from a breeder, and you will be saving a life. I got my doberman mix from a local animal shelter and she only costed $150.00. If you get a dog from a breeder, the price could be at least $400.00. Also, shelters are usually much more reputable than breeders. If you aren't sure, go on petfinder.com. They list local animal shelters.
But, no matter where you get a dog, ask these questions the the seller:
Is the dog house trained?
Has the dog had obedience training?
Why are you selling the dog? (If buying from someone who needs to re-home their dog ex. A breeder selling a retired, adult dog)
1. What is the dog's age?
2. What is the dog's height?
3. Does he have any behavioral problems?
4. Is he good with cats?
5. Is he good with other dogs?
6. Does he like children?
7. Can he be trusted off-leash?
8. Does he have any fears/phobias?
9. If so, what are they?
10. Is he leash trained?
11. Can he be crated?
12. Why was this dog given up? Or Why is this animal at the shelter? ( if adopting)
13. Is the dog spayed/ neutered?
14. Has the dog been debarked?
15. Does he have any injuries/illnesses?
16. If so, what are they?
17. How can they be treated? Or Can they be treated?
18. Does he have any allergies?
19. If so, what are they?
20. What kind of food is he being fed?
21. Where can you get it?
22. May I please see the ingredients in it? Or What are the ingredients in it?
23. Does he have any dewclaws?
If the breeder or shelter does not know any of these, then do not buy a dog from them. I repeat, do not buy a dog from them. They may be scamming you. Or they may sell you a sick dog. Also NEVER buy a dog online. Someone may be scamming you or sell you a sick dog. Always:
Check out the area where the dogs are kept.
Meet the puppy's mother and father. (If buying from a breeder) See if they have friendly, social temperaments.
See what the dogs are fed. If anything concerns you,
See the dog and how it reacts to various situations. Ex. Children running, cars, other dogs, cats.
Get a fake hand and pet the dog with it while he is eating. If the dog growls, its ears go back, it's hair puffs up or it bites you, he may have a food guarding issue.
If any of these are undesirable, don't buy a dog from there.
Walk the dog. If he pulls, then you may have a problem.

wisheswisheswishes
[notify]