GO!

What can you tell me about Dalmatians & their exercise needs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Koda

Dumb but cute!

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 8:08pm PST 
I am looking into adding a new beast to my pack & am considering a Dalmatian. My only concern is the high energy level. We live in the country, on 150 acres, so he/she would have plenty of room to run, play & stretch his/her legs. Now my Great Dane will run & play with his toys outside all by himself & I am wondering if this is at all true for Dalmatians? Do they "self exercise" or do they require a more hands-on approach to exercise?
[notify]
Delta and- Doc

The Spots Are In- The House!

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 7:37am PST 
My dals do both. I can let them out and they will just run for the fun of it... but they also enjoy structured exercise like bike riding. Honestly though, when given a decent amount of exercise, don't let the 'high energy' scare you. They are couch potatoes in the house. Here is a GREAT description that a breeder received from one of her puppy buyers.

http://paisleydals.blogspot.com/2011/07/personality-of-dalmatian .html
[notify]