GO!

daschunds and other dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tubby

Multo en Parvo-A- lot in a little!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 4:26pm PST 
Hi! I posted this question in choosing the right dog but it wasnt answered. How are daschunds with other dogs. I have heard they dont get along with other dogs but I know many daschunds live in multi dog homes. I also have heard they big barkers and Im a little concerned about this becuase I am living in an urban environment, but then so many daschunds live in the city. Im particularly interested in the long haired variety and have heard they tend to be calmer. Id apreciate any info
[notify]
Cocoa Beach

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 9:10am PST 
Hi,
I've had a dachshund for almost 3 years. Her name is Cocoa, when she was 1 I decided to get another dog that was in need to be rescued. My experience with Dachshunds is that they are VERY VERY loving, yes Cocoa was a bit weird when Mimi (the new dog) came to live with us but now they can't live without each other. I would greatly recommend a Dachshund, one thing is that they do require time and attention just like any other dog. Mine is not a big barker, she is very playful yet calm and I do live in an urban community as well.
Let me know if this helps and if you have anymore questions smile
For the love of the dog, Ileana H
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '07 8:50am PST 
Hey Tubby!

I've grown up with dachshunds and we've had quite a few, fosters and forevers, in our home.

For the most part, they've all thrived in the company of other dogs. Rondo, for instance, is a complete rock when I bring in my fosters--he really seems to know that his job is to help me train them (and to help teach them to do a few semi-naughty dachshund things). And he mourns when they leave for their forever homes. Having another dog around for him to play with really makes him happier. Oh, and I've also had a variety of breeds parade through...Rondo loves them all. Currently I have a cocker who is twice his size, but they love each other so much! He's also shared his space with pomeranians, maltese, other dachshunds, very temporarily with a pit/boxer mix (emergency situation...I really don't have the room for a big energetic puppy like that BOL!), and with basset hounds. He's gotten along just fine with all of them.

Rondo's breeder (who at some point during his life has bred and shown all three varieties) says that the long-hairs are generally a bit more laid-back than the other varieties. Rondo exemplifies this--he's fairly calm, very gentle, and all-around a great pup. Rondo rarely barks, but I think that's as much me training from day one than anything. He will grunt at things instead, which is pretty funny.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by author Tue Mar 27, '07 8:52am PST

Daisy Mae

too cute!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '07 11:47am PST 
I have 2 doxies and like the other post they seem happier when there are 2. Mine do get along well with other dogs, even the neighbors dogs. I did some fostering also, (thats how I got Pete) and didnt have a problem. We recently got a big dog pup that Pete gets along real well with, and Daisy it took a couple of weeks to warm up to, but its all good now. Doxies are the best! good luck
[notify]
Helga

LONG DOGS RULE!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 10:12am PST 
As other have stated...doxies seem to get along well with other dogs. My two girls play with other dogs, & have lived temporarily with dogs bigger & smaller. They do fine. I have had a single doxie & now my two sisters. And I must say two are best, thinking, well, twice the doxie hijinks but twice the love...and that is a considerable amount! They are a loyal, loving breed & incredibly smart. Smart dogs can sometime be a bit much for some folks, because they tend to get into trouble. Remember, they were breed for hunting, to go down into badger holes, so they are independent thinkers. That sometimes puts them at odds with the people they own big grin

After a lifetime of dog ownership & love....after my first doxie I never wanted another breed.
Good luck!
Ellie & Helga's Mom
[notify]
Shortdog

short, dark, and- handsome

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 1:02pm PST 
Well,above all,it depends on the specific dog.But my Shortdog only gets along with dogs his size or smaller.Like for instance,he runs and frolics with the poodle across the street,but he got in a fight with a Shetland Sheepdog and he took a snap at a rottweiler mix we were fostering.So,maybe you should experiment.Good luck!Dachshunds rule!cheer
[notify]
Noodle - McDoglet-Sti- nkopotamus

Roll with the- WIENER HERD

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 12:43pm PST 
Before we had Teyah, Noodle and I lived with a 120 lb great dane for a year, then after that we lived with a chow for about 6 months. He adored both of them. I think that the dynamic was different. he and Miles (the dane) were best buddies and Noodle followed him everywhere. We had an 11 acre lot for the house and lots of tall grass, and although Noodle wouldn't come when I called him he was always ok because Miles would, and he went right where Miles did!

It was so funny to see Miles loping like a deer and just a little behind him, the grass waving as Noodle brought up the rear like a caboose. smile Miles was so gentle too, he would let Noodle mess with him and chew his face/jowels for like an hour, and as soon as he got tired of it, would just take one massive paw and push him away gently like, that's enough now. the only thing that scared me was that although Miles couldn't have been more sweet and gentle, he was so large that it would have been easy for him to hurt Noodle's back accidentally so they were never allowed to play unsupervised.

But living with him definitely made me want to have a dane someday (when I have a big fenced in yard!)

The chow Roxie was a female and Noodle was very attached to his 'girlfriend' though he had been fixed long before. Unfortunately she was very neglected, bathed about once a year and never groomed for her ears or nails or a. glands and it broke mom's heart that her owner (our roommate) was so blind to the bad condition her dog was in. Eventually it was so bad we had to move, but then
Noodle was so lonely after having playmates that THAT made me start thinking about getting another dog. After about another year and a half I was convinced he would be happier if not alone all the time and we got Teyah Pie. But I debated over it in my head for a long time just like you.

Would they get along? Would they fight? Would he be jealous? How expensive would it be?

Yes (most of the time), Yes (on occasion but not bad), Yes (of course he's the 'firstborn') and surprisingly, not so much more than having one dog alone, plus I really do think they are not as lonely.

NOW the problem is that Teyah is so attached to Noodle he will have to live as long as she does and he's 3.5 years older!

I think with all dogs, the important thing is, try to find one, regardless of breed that suits your situation and needs by size, amount of care needed and above all TEMPERAMENT. Teyah is unusual by her markings sure, but what we really wanted was a dog that was playful but could also chill out, liked attention but could also entertain herself, liked a good snuggle on the couch but also could be alone and not constantly clingy. Some of that can be adjusted with good consistent training but by and large she was exactly what we needed and it worked out great.

That's another good reason to go with a rescue/foster. Having that dog in a situation with a foster pawrent who really gets a chance to observe their behavior and personality with other dogs is invaluable and something you may not be able to get from a breeder with a very young puppy whose personality is not fully formed. Even if the sire and dam are great, temperament can still be russian roulette with a new puppy.

So just be thorough. Watch your dog, figure out if they are more dominant or submissive, calm or hyper, possessive over you, food, toys or more laid back and accepting. All of this will allow you to tell a potential foster exactly what you think would work best with your dog and find one that suits both (or all) of your family members for the rest of that animal's life.
[notify]
Danny

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '07 11:12pm PST 
Hi, there are 3 of us. We get along really well with other dogs. In fact, Roxy's boyfriend is a pug named Toby. Sometimes Danny lunges at big dogs when we're on a walk. We've heard of other dachshunds doing this too. We really love to BARK! We bark at squirrels, at the next door neighbor's dogs, at the front door, at the mail lady, at people on the sidewalk in front of our house. Because there are 3 of us, we can really egg each other on and have a huge BARKFEST!
[notify]