GO!

Collie Puppies and Toddlers

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Polly Anna

Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 8:11am PST 
Polly Anna is still just a puppy (8 weeks old) and had been brought up around 2 other children in her breeders home. She has been home for several days now and have started to see her personality come out. Around my husband and I Polly is the ideal puppy, perfect in every way. But once our daughter who is 2 years old is in the room she flips out and just goes crazy. Running around everywhere barking and jumping, I can tell Polly likes her but she tends to be REALLY aggressive with her which involves lots of biting (not the kind that break the skin), this attitude is completely opposite of how she is with me. Can any one explain to me if this is common in puppy collies
[notify]
Darby - C.G.C.

The Anti-Lassie

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 5:10am PST 
Collies can be mouthy, and running and nipping is common with any herding breed. It seems that Polly Anna sees your toddler as another puppy, and is encouraging puppy play.

Of course, you can't encourage this. She needs to see your child as another human member of the pack. When Polly starts getting over excited, the play time is over. Pick up your child and leave the area, while correcting Polly with a firm "No!" or "No bite!"

Never let her use her mouth to nip or grab any person, no matter how big. Always correct this behavior. You may want to take this question over to the "Behavior and Training" forum. There are lots of excellent trainers there who can give you more specific advice regarding the training of herding breeds.

Collies are wonderful, sensitive and loving dogs, but the herding instinct is still strong in them, and they have to be reminded that people aren't sheep!
[notify]
Kaylee

Wag more, bark- less!

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 11:49pm PST 
Rather than picking up the kid (which is going to encourage puppy to jump up and nip at her feet or clothing), pick up the puppy and remove them from the situation. That's a GREAT time for either a crate or an exercise pen (or a space behind a baby gate) for a brief time out so that the puppy can regain her composure and then start over.

Making puppy and kid interactions more structured- kid comes into the room after puppy is already on a leash and being rewarded for sitting calmly or playing with a toy- will make things MUCH calmer and more productive in the long run.
[notify]