GO!

Are Collies yappy.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ellie

Cuddly and soft

Barked: Fri Mar 5, '10 5:58am PST 
This is my first Collie when we got her the breeders De voiced her cause she was yappy she's staring to get her voice back though she only barks at night at the least small noise. When we first got her she was pacing the fence , as soon as we let her out it was straight to the fence though she's not so bad now.Doe's anyone know why she would pace like that is it normal for collies? blue dog
[notify]
Duchess

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 3:44am PST 
You are a beautiful girl. Collies are a vocal breed, but some are more than others. Remember collies are a herding breed, and one of the ways they get sheep to move is to bark at them. Have you tried positive reinforcement training? If she has a job to do, she will be less inclined to get into mischief.
[notify]
Cirrus

Amazing Collie- Girl Her Royal- Highness

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 6:23pm PST 
I believe your collie has excess energy that needs to be vented through daily power walks or jogs. Our collie in her younger years, got 2-3 hours of exercise per day, plus herd dog training once a week. This should challenge your dog and perhaps the barking will be less. I really think exercise is the key, plus teaching your dog to stop when asked (you decide when enough is enough barking). You can start by walking 30-60 min in the morning (before work?), and 30-60 min after work, and a mini-walk before bed, plus play time. Sounds like a lot? That's what your dog needs. Have fun!

dog
[notify]