GO!

New to Colllies! Hi!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Noble

Crazy loving- Puppy <3

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 7:51pm PST 
Hey there! My mom got me at the end of June and since then its been an adventure of learning and having fun!
Right now, my mom is teaching me to only bark on command. It's going ok, but when I see little kids, or people moving on "skateboards" (whatever those are) I get nervous and try to tell them to keep their distance! They do scare me. I'm ok with big kids though.
Does anyone have any advice on helping my mom help me get over this fear? She keeps saying that she wants me to be a therapy dog for kids who can't read, but I need to get over the scary part about them first. Thanks!
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 10:47am PST 
Hi Noble. What a pretty puppy!smile
The best way to get over it is for your mom to get you used to it. First, from a distance. Walk past them from a distance for a few days. When you're comfortable with that, then your mom should bring you a bit closer for a few days. Then closer and closer until you aren't nervous around them anymore. Don't try to do it too fast, your mom needs to go at your pace with this fear. If you get too nervous, then she needs to go back to the last step that worked and go from there. Your mom should let you know that she'll protect you, but don't let her coddle you. Codling can make the fear worse, because it's like being rewarded for being afraid.
Best of luck!
[notify]
Cirrus

Amazing Collie- Girl Her Royal- Highness

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 10:40pm PST 
I agree. Practice often, getting nearer to the "scary" things, maybe even let your dog smell the skateboard! Sometimes dogs fear those unnatural things because their instincts tell them to stay away from weird stuff like the scary trash cans at the park, and the mile markers on the trail! Without a word, I calmly led my dogs to those strange things, and after they smelled them, they were okay. And it's true that coddling when your dog is fearful reinforces the fear. So, just stay assertive and don't feel sorry. Just lead your dog to believe that those things are not scary.blue dog
[notify]

Noble

Crazy loving- Puppy <3

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 8:53pm PST 
Thanks guys!
My mom has been taking me to my Grandma's house. I have two aunts who are 2 and 4, so mom has been exposing me to them. I've gotten a little better with kids. The other day, I was at the bus stop with my mom and an old lady came up to me with a weird scary metal contraption. I told her to go away. My mom said this helps old people walk, but I think it's evil.
>.
[notify]
Niles

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 10:59pm PST 
Hi Nobel,
My mom takes us to the dog park all the time. There is so much going on with kids riding bikes and skateboards that I got used to it. There are also baseball games and a kids park. I have gotten so used to all the noise and excitement it doe's not bother me anymore.hamster dance
[notify]
Tatum Tot- Spice

I'm a smooth- collie girl!

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 2:42pm PST 
Hi Noble! You sure are a cute blue puppy! I'd love to come play with you. smile
[notify]