GO!

Puppy Pre-Purchase Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2  
Orry

A collie CAN!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 12:39am PST 
The thing to be careful with is products containing ivermectin which is a common wormer/heartwormer. If a collie is mutant...as many are...an overdose can lead to seizures and even death.

I hadn't had a dog since 1986 when I got Orry last year. It began in January when I took a class in pet parenting and first aid with our cats in mind. The teacher brought her Australian cattle dog with her and I fell in love. For months I researched breeds with a view to selling our Hurricane Wilma wrecked Florida condo and acquiring a home in another, a REAL, place. In July we sold and I had piles of breed books stacked up with my thoughts turned to rough collie. I had fostered one for a year in the 1970s and known people well who had collies. When we bought a single family home in Georgia on nearly an acre with half that fenced with 6 and a half foot chain link I returned to Florida to pack up and give notice and to finalize the deal to purchase Orry, a Missouri pup I'd seen on Next Day Pets.

Orry's breeder, a lady with only one collie, could not have been nicer and I still send her updates on her baby. And we've been very happy with Orry who was 14 weeks when he flew here to meet us. He spent a few weeks living at LaQuinta with us and two cats in a single room and the hotel wholeheartedly approved the pup.

Now. at 15 months, I won't say that Orry is perfect but he is a great dog. He helps tend injured wildlife and is a friend to every living thing. He's no interest in traffic....we live down a dirt road in the country....and he seldom barks. He did chomp a few unplugged electric cords and trashed his dad's remote as well as destroy a set of earphones but, by and large, we got off easily. He's a good kid. His bio-dad, Wild Crusader, is known for his huge size and for his sweet nature.

Each puppy is different. Orry is a Beta and only needs a gentle reminder now and then that humans are the Alpha-wolves.

Bob Weatherwax, son of Rudd Weatherwax, original owner of "Lassie" gives phone consultations to dog owners with problems.
bob@weatherwaxtraineddogs.com

And I think you'd call Lassie a tri-factored sable collie.

A word of warning. Many dogs will chase birds unless the bird is in a sturdy cage. And a large bird such as a parrot can kill an annoying small animal. (I had a parrot once, long before I got a dog.)

Collies can be work but I think they are worth it.

dancing
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2