GO!

dry mouth st bernard? how does that happen?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Bones- ADOPTABLE

I love to be- loved

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 10:13am PST 
While talking with my aunt yesterday about getting a new dog, I brought up a St. Bernard as a suggestion for her. We then went on to discuss the breed and she had mentioned hearing of a "drool free" St. I then told her I had heard of it and that it was called a dry mouth St. Bernard from what I had seen.
After talking about it I got to thinking about it and wondering how on earth that happened. Is that some form of odd breeding or what? Is there any other difference with a dry mouth St. vs a normal St.? just curious.
[notify]
::Loki::- Rainbow- Bridge::

R.I.P Loki My- Savior in so- many ways

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 10:23am PST 
Bones- I have a "dry mouth" Saint. If you remember all the drool bethoven had, a dry mouth is the complete opposite, which you probably already know.

The difference I believe in dry mouth saints are that the flews (upper lips) don't droop as much causing the drool to seep out of their mouths so bad.

I can't see a physical difference between a dry mouth and a drooler, exept one drools a ton and one doesnt.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 12:53pm PST 
Hmmm.............I always thought it was the droop of the lower lip that caused excessive drool...............as the saliva sits mostly on the lower part of the mouth.

If you notice major drooling breeds, their lower lips hang down considerably farther than other breeds, even if their top lips aren't that much different.
[notify]

Miles Giles

The First- Mid-Missouri Pet- Idol!

Barked: Wed Aug 26, '09 9:07am PST 
All Saints drool. If drool is an issue, this is not the dog for you.
[notify]