GO!

Having to give my dog back to the Humane Society.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 10:43am PST 
It has been just a day or two we've had her. She is great with kids, gentle, and terrific and loves to snuggle a lot inside which is great because I am trying to train a dog for therapy/service for myself. However once she figured out we have a cat she became super tense, and stared her down, then when the cat moved she got on her hind legs whined and tried to charge. Basically trying to hunt the cat I had a similar experience with a babysat dog so I know it well. She pulls hard outside too and tries to hunt everything even robins and gets tense around other dogs, everything really but people but she will also drag me to people. Our apartment does not allow dogs and we are military so we are stationed here, but we got approved for a service dog as long as they behave. She is 3 years old, I called the Humane Society back today and they agreed I should bring her back and look around more. I just feel so bad but out cat was here first and she peed on the couch out of anger about the dog trying to get her (she was fine with the dog until it tried to come after her she even tried to give kisses). I just hope this whole experience did not ruin it for my husband but this is vital for my health (anxiety, panic attacks, depression ect.)
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 11:20am PST 
What a hard decision! I'm sorry things didn't work out. A friend of mine recently had to return a dog when he killed one of her chickens, then became OBSESSED with the chickens.

He was a senior dog with very few teeth left, so nobody thought he'd be a problem around the hens. Hard lesson learned. frown
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 6:01pm PST 
It’s a tough call. It can take weeks, sometimes months, for a dog to settle into a new home before you see their true personality/temperament. The behaviors you are seeing may change for the better or for the worse.

Your best bet is to work with a good trainer who can help you evaluate potential service dog prospects before you adopt them. Look for dogs that have been fostered in a home vs. a shelter setting, or a young adult dog through a good breeder who has a known history and some basic training.
[notify]