GO!

What Breeds in my Brother's Mixed Dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 11:31am PST 
My bro went to the shelter and got a dog so I thought we'd see if you guys can give us an idea of what breeds are in his mix. smile I'll tell you what he was listed as after some people chime in. I don't want to skew anyone's opinion.

Anyway, he is high energy, about a year old, 40 lbs, and has NO purple-ish spots on his tongue.

Here are the pictures.

Closeup of Head

Sideview

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '14 11:33am PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 3:35pm PST 
He looks like a French Bull Dog mix to me.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 4:21pm PST 
GSD x Pit. Has GSD ears and a Pit face.
[notify]

Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 4:42pm PST 
I see Boston Terrier pretty clearly: thick neck, prick ears, fine-boned legs, small feet, short spine, short snout, wide skull, barrel chest, larger eyes, black color with white markings.

What's not very BT: snout is too long, ears too long, eyes too small, too large in size, to little white

If he's a BT mix, I suspect the other dog would have the following: prick/half-prick ears, long snout, longer ears, lighter bone structure, large size.

Black is usually a dominant color, so if he's half BT, it doesn't matter what color the other breed is when trying to ID breed.

The second breed could be, in that case:
German Shepherd(most likely), Collie, Catahoula Cur(my second choice), Basenji(unlikely), or Greyhound(also unlikely)

But I could also say maybe a Chihuahua/Bull Breed mix, but I feel that is less likely than Boston Terrier mix.
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Sat Mar 29, '14 5:16pm PST 
Thanks for the replies. The shelter had him listed as an Australian Cattle Dog/Pit bull mix. My bro is thinking maybe ACD/Boxer mix. What do ya'll think?

Edit: Out of all the suggestions I suppose I can see the resemblance to a Boston Terrier the most with the coloring and sideview. So maybe he is an ACD/Boston Terrier mix. I also see the Pit bull mix idea but I don't see any German Shepherd in him.

Edited by author Sat Mar 29, '14 5:23pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue May 6, '14 12:32pm PST 
Followup and DNA update on this post. (BTW I'm the brother in this story)

I just had my dog, Teppic tested using Wisdom Panel 2.0 and the results are back.

His purest heritage is Austrailian shepherd, Portuguese water dog, and English sheepdog. He has a lot of mixed breed in him though, most prominent and by my reconing and where he gets most of his looks is from American stafforshire terrier.

Take a look here for his full wisdom panel: http://relentlessmediocrity.com/teppic.pdf
[notify]