GO!

Choosing a breed for endurance training at high speeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 5:36pm PST 
Hi there

I do inline speed skating six times a week for 1-2 hours per session. I average between 30 to 40 kph depending on the distance, and get up to 50-60 km per day on long steady sessions. Most days I skate between 20 to 30 km, with 20 km being the very minimum.

Is there any breed that can sustain an average of 32 to 38 kph over marathon distance (which means between one hour and one hour and a half)? Can that same breed sustain an avg of 20-25 kph for four hours?

I've read that salukis are good for endurance, same with Vizslas and Weimaraners. Is that speed to much for a dog, or is there any breed that can handle it?

I've read that sled dogs can keep an avg of 12-19 kph over six hours and that greyhounds can get up to 70 kph, so I thought there might be some kind of middle ground between both breeds.

Thank you very much for your help.
Cheers!
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 3:47am PST 
What's the purpose? Do you want them to run beside you on the ice?
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 4:29am PST 
My first thought is Dalmatians since their original purpose was to be coach dogs. Salukis and Afghans may be able to keep up, as well as pointers, Viszlas and Weims. However, you would have to talk to people seriously invested in the breed to get a feel for it. I'm most concerned about the duration for which they'd be running - it's a lot to ask for and, as I'm sure you know, at the very least would have to be worked up to gradually.

E: Maybe a Brittany? They're probably not long legged enough for you, but they have the ability to run just about all day.

Edited by author Thu Mar 13, '14 4:30am PST

[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 8:10am PST 
In addition to the breeds pointed out already, I've heard Rhodesian Ridgebacks are great endurance dogs too.

A Greyhound, as mentioned in your opening post Guest, are NOT endurance dogs and are sprinters, rather then marathon runners. So would not recommend one at all regarding what you're looking for.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 10:36am PST 
Second that you may want to look into the Rhodesian Ridgeback
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 10:39am PST 
It can depend on the dog, Sophie is probably a mix of AmStaff, boxer and GSD. For endurance she can easily speed walk with me for two hours. As far as the speed you're talking about I would think that would be hard on the joints of many breeds.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 11:30am PST 
Short answer, No.

It's too fast, for too long. Dogs are not built like humans - heck, humans aren't even built like that. The only reason you are achieving those speeds is your skates.

There are dogs, like racing line sleddogs, who can run such distances. There are sprint dogs, like greyhounds, who can reach and well surpass such speeds. But you can't have both.

On top of that, it's not realistic to expect a dog to be able to run on ice at all. They have very poor traction, and there is very little out there that can provide them traction without also compromising their speed and gait.

6 days a week is too much, too, although this is more easily mitigated, as you could simply leave the dog home some days.

Edited by author Thu Mar 13, '14 11:35am PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 3:24pm PST 
Pretty sure INLINE skating is not on ice but done with roller blades.

Also agree that speed/duration is too much to ask of a dog. You'd have to wait until the dog was over 2 year of age to even start running it, then you'd have to build up to that speed and duration and then larger breeds like that only live what 10 to 12 years so already at about 8 years of age it's a senior and needs to likely stop that kind of activety. So even without any injuries you're looking at about 5 to 6 years of running. Just skate with another human.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 6:45pm PST 
Thank you all for your answers

Like it has already being pointed, inline speed skating is done with inline skates (skates with wheels set in a line, in case it wasn't obvious enough). It is not an sport done on ice.

I skate in a bike path that has a dirt path beside it. I could train the dog to run on dirt grass and the occasional run on smooth asphalt where there is no dirt path nearby.

The volume of exercise per week can be easily adjusted by not taking the dog to train with me that day. I'm aware that I would have to wait until the dog is old enough and I would most definitely build up to that amount of training gradually.

I didn't know about Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I'll dive into the breed a bit and see what I can find.

I did some more google searches and found this thread. I think it's really interesting and relevant to the topic, considering I train for inline skating marathons and do marathons under 1h30 (aiming to get to 1h15 eventually)

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=322 5579

That thread made me think about sled dogs. Is there any sled dog that can run at 20-25ÂșC for a long time without overheating?

Edited by author Thu Mar 13, '14 6:47pm PST

[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 6:14am PST 
I missed the "inline" part. But in case it wasn't obvious enough for you, NO, a dog can NOT do what you are looking for. Regardless of breed, surface, or climate.

Those temperatures are way too extreme - we stop the sled dogs around 50F, and even running that hot depends on other factors like the humidity, if there is snow on the ground, if the sun is out. I have seen dogs start to overheat and need to be pulled from the team in around 20F. Not often, but it happens. We aren't in the Arctic, either. Many of the dogs are sprint-oriented Eurohounds, not Huskies acclimated to -50F.

Also worth noting that entire discussion is about RUNNING, not skating, which is often done with dogs (see cani-cross) as long as conditions are correct. The participants offer only anecdotal evidence, and appear to be multiplying what small distances their dog covered quickly to greater distance and using that for speed - which is completely wrong. Any dog can beat the fastest human sprinter right out of the gate, but they can not maintain that speed over any significant distance.

FWIW, as the fact that race sleddogs are pulling a sled kept coming up - it's not slowing them down much at all. They train pulling trucks. A sled is nothing after that. Yes, being hooked together slows the faster dogs, but that's a good thing. If you let your fast dogs go all-out, they completely burn themselves out on the first stretch.

Believe me, if there were a way to get dogs to run faster than that, the sledding community would have figured it out a long time ago.

Also, wolves absolutely do not run down their prey. They trot or jog long distances to find it, and will sprint to reach it after stalking as close as possible. Typically they will set the pack up to surround the animal so it can't get away, because most prey animals can easily outrun them - and they still run failure rates as high as 90%. The people implying that wolves just race around the tundra, flat-out running down large prey have no idea what they are talking about.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2