GO!

Need some breed suggestions!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 9:07pm PST 
Hi everyone!

My family is going to be expanding in the next couple years and I would love some breed suggestions!

I am looking for a breed that is family friendly and fine with other pets. I have my poms, two children, we are fairly active, but not super active, so no Border Collies/Aussies etc. I'm a Professional Dog Groomer so any coat length is fine with me. I prefer medium-large breed this time around, no giants or toy/small breeds.

So far we like:

-Standard/ Miniature Poodle
-Samoyed

Any other breeds you think might work for us?

Thanks! big grin
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 28, '14 1:45am PST 
SCWT would probably be a good fit. They can be challenging as pups though.
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '14 1:50pm PST 
Thanks Sabi big grin I'd rather stay far far away from all terriers lol. I groom enough to know they aren't a fit for me, but thank you for the suggestion!

Anyone here have personal experience with Samoyeds? big grin

Edited by author Sun Mar 23, '14 1:50pm PST

[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '14 7:29am PST 
Poodle! Poodle!!!

I'm not biased.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '14 5:27pm PST 
Sammy's are really fun dogs, and since you have a Pom, a Sammy would not be a completely new thing for you and since you are a groomer you know about all the hair they have! They are a spitz breed so you have the spitz traits....big time prey drive, tendency to bark and a certain reluctance to obey commands when they find something that catches their attention.

However they are sweethearts, loving and charming.
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:26pm PST 
Well, a Mini poodle is a Toy Poodle but a little bigger. So you would be getting another dog with a toy breed attitude. Which it is sounding like you don't want that because you already have two Pomeranians. Is that the case? Anyway, if you are still interested in hearing about mini poodles I can tell you more about them.

What type of personality are you looking for? What characteristics do you love about your Poms that you also want your new dog to have? And what characteristics do your Poms have that you DON't want your new dog to have? Or if you have had other dogs in your life, what did you like and dislike about them?

Edit: I will tell you that Poodles, no matter what size, will outsmart their humans. But because they are so smart they learn really fast. My mom's dogs get treats when one of them goes outside to potty so the poodle figured out that if she just goes outside and turns around and comes back in then she gets a treat. And then she taught the other dogs the same trick and will send them outside so she can get a treat without having to do anything. Very smart dog. She is the mastermind.

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '14 1:34pm PST

[notify]
Coda

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 9:56am PST 
Newfoundland dogs make great family dogs smile
[notify]
Coda

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 9:58am PST 
Oh, whoops, you said no giants. lol They always seem less giant to me because they're such teddybears, and I usually see them lying down laugh out loud
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '14 7:05pm PST 
Thanks everyone for the responses! My family and I finally made up our minds and we are on a waiting list for a red or white Standard Poodle! We won't have our new family member until the end of this year or early next year depending on which litter has what we are looking for. Waiting is going to suck! At least we have a lot of time to prepare! laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '14 12:27am PST 
I read all above conversation regarding breed discussion. this also helps me a lot because i also want a new dog to increase our family.

Thank you
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2