GO!

Tell me about the Leonberger

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 5:34pm PST 
Scruffy, I don't know anything about their health. Our neighbors are Not very friendly, at all. I've only had contact with him on that one day. So, I'm really not sure about their health.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 10:10am PST 
Thanks, Kali. It's confusing when stuff online is contradictory but then nearly all the posters on the forums I saw said they are a very unhealthy breed and wouldn't touch them with a 100' pole and that makes me worry.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '14 11:51am PST 
I've been obsessed with Leonbergers for a few months now big grin I've met several of them, and they were all very low key dogs, sweet, and calm. They are, however, very very heavy shedders. Very. I believe they are reasonably healthy, thought like most giant breeds, not especially long lived.
[notify]

Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 9:07am PST 
Leonbergers are absolutely amazing dogs but they are definitely not for everyone.

Do they shed? All the time. Grooming requirements? Continual. They do not have that distinct double coat like a Newfie. Most love water and require thorough drying after their frequent (and often unplanned) swims.

How are they with strangers? Depends on how well the owners socialize them. But characteristically, they can range from being highly social and outgoing to polite and aloof.

Guardian qualities? Depends on the line and the socialization. Most are not frequent barkers. One of the first leonberger specialties I attended was incredibly devoid of barking despite having so many large dogs together in one space.

Training? They are versatile, highly intelligent, independent thinkers. Remember that they have Pyrenean Mastiff and Great Pyrenees in their background. Meaning that their "nearby" may be further than most are accustom to. And their willingness, interest, and drive to "work" or respond immediately for your command may not be razor sharp. This attribute is very dependent on the dog's line.

Prey drive? Also lineage dependent. Sheep (and child) Herding is an ability that many are skillful at. Others could not care less and have zero prey drive.

To learn more, join the online Leo community (leolist) or attend a leonberger specialty.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 10:15am PST 
Thanks, Aina! Does health depend on the lines too? I've heard health of the breed seems to be a regional thing.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2