GO!

Tell me about the Leonberger

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 12:54pm PST 
Could someone please tell me about the Leonberger? What are they like to live with? Typically how much exercise do they need? Typically, how are they with other dogs, strangers, other pets? Do they tend to have low, moderate or high prey drive? Do they like hanging out and being near their people or do they tend to go off by themselves and do their own thing? Do they tend to be playful or are they super serious dogs? How are they off leash? Do they range close by, venture off and check in, or do they leave you in the dust? Any other info would be great!

Edited by author Wed Feb 19, '14 12:56pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 6:04pm PST 
I tried digitaldog.com but the Leonberger isnt thereshock

I found this instead smile

http://www.leonbergerclubofcanada.com/blog/the-leonberger/temp erament/
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 10:41am PST 
Thanks, Bunny! smile
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 4:31pm PST 
One lives across the street from us. He strikes me as a guardian breed. He's always outside and he alerts the owner whenever something's in the yard, like people or squirrels. He goes in the house at night, but is outside all day. I went over there one day to tell my neighbor that his cat was hit by a car, and the dog barked and barked at me. Once I spoke with my neighbor, the dog settled and came over for a pat o the head. He seems like a good dog. smile
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Feb 27, '14 6:44pm PST 
I've known and worked with several as a dog walker and a groomer. I have a grooming customer who breeds and shows them. They currently have five adults (a breeding pair and three of their young adult puppies). They have all been, without fail, some of the sweetest dogs I've ever worked with. Even when the juvenile dogs were groomed for the first time (way too late, they were almost a year when they came to me), they were a little nervous and squirrely but never got pushy or mouthy with me. I love this breed.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Mar 1, '14 10:55am PST 
Thanks for the replies! smile

What's grooming like with a Leonberger?
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Mar 4, '14 7:27am PST 
It's really not that complicated. Lots of brushing mostly, making sure they don't get mats in their haunches or behind their ears. Trimming the hair between their toes. Be prepared for shedding!
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Mar 4, '14 2:18pm PST 
Sounds like what I'm used to with grooming Lily. smile
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Mar 4, '14 4:28pm PST 
They are large dogs and the one across the street has a very thick coat. Probably from being outside so much. It looks like a lot of grooming to me.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 11:51am PST 
Probably a lot more brushing than I'm used to because Lily is so little compared to a Leonberger! laugh out loud

Does anyone know if Leonbergers tend to be a healthy breed? All the info I've read seems to give them "mixed reviews", so to speak, on health. Also, I've been skimming other dog forums and when the subject of Leonbergers comes up many posters claim they are a very unhealthy breed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2