GO!

Possibly adopting a friends dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 3:01pm PST 
Well its been awhile since I have posted here. A really good friend of mine who owns a dog moved 3 hours away last year. She got a really good job and an apartment and took her dog with her. Well she works 12 hour shifts and her dog is locked up for about 14 hours a day and she doesnt have the time for him. Now i have known this dog all his life (hes about 4 or 5 i believe). He did have some aggressive tendencies when he was younger. I offered to adopt him but I am worried about some issues:

1. since he is locked up all day he goes to the bathroom in the house. Will trying to reintroduce house training take long?

2. is it hard to try and socialize an older dog? He really hasnt been outside in a long time since she works all day.
any help is welcome smile

Edited by author Thu Nov 7, '13 3:02pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 11:19am PST 
I wouldn't be too concerned about how long it would take, as this is VERY dependent on the individual dog. Treat the dog like an un-housetrained puppy when you bring it home, and reward heavily for going to the bathroom outside, and crate when/if you can't supervise, or tether, even so you can immediately notice signs to take the dog outside.

As for socializing, this too depends on the dog. Some dogs are simply picky with who they get along with, while others just don't like ANY dog. I'd want to do a meet and greet between him and Kashmir first to see if they get along, or if not, how difficult it would be to manage, while working on the behaviors. Reward ANY TIME they are in each other's presence and do not force anything.

Ultimately, I think you need to see how he and Kashmir fit together and go from there.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Nov 9, '13 6:27pm PST 
Like Charlie sez, it depends on the dog. But having Kashmir might be a help if they get along. I think dogs can learn a lot by example from another dog. You do need to be prepared that you might have a dog who will adapt fairly quickly or it might be more a "fixer-upper" doggie who's going to need time. In any case you need to be prepared. Best of luck!little angel
[notify]