GO!

Breed Suggestions? Please?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 9:54am PST 
Hello, I was wondering if someone could give us some breed suggestions or point us in the right direction regarding our breed list. We're looking for a medium to large size breed with medium energy that has an off switch in the house, or at least won't be constantly bouncing off the wall indoors. A dog that would be fine with a long walk/hike and some (or a lot) of play time thrown in. We're looking for a dog who is either friendly or aloof with strangers but definitely not shy or fearful around strangers. We're also looking for a dog with a moderate prey drive, but we don't want a dog who will freak out every time they see a small furry animal. A breed that is a relatively healthy is a plus. A dog that is affectionate and laid back and wants to hang out with their owners but isn't overly velcro is also a plus. We don't want a dog that will go off by themselves and ignore us all day but we also don't want a dog that is constantly all over us for love and pets. We don't want a dog who is aggressive with other dogs, but we don't care if the dog doesn't love other dogs. Does such a breed exist? laugh out loud

Breeds we're interested in:

-Eurasier
-Keeshond
-Greyhound
-Chow Chow
-Samoyed
-German Shepherd
-Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
-Berger De Picard
-Scottish Deerhound

Thanks in advance!

Edited by author Thu Sep 26, '13 9:58am PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 11:18am PST 
Well, a Greyhound does tick most of those boxes, and if you went through a good rescue and/or foster home with your requirements being that the dog was moderate to low prey driven, you might have luck.

Saying that, and I don't know much about the breed at all, but I got talking to a Eurasier breeder at a show once and she described her dogs pretty much exactly to the T in what you're looking for.
[notify]
Sam

My Sammi

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 1:15pm PST 
GSD meets and exceeds all of your requirements! Any breed will have different energy levels within the breed, so it's a matter of meeting the dog and determining the energy level. Hint: Don't pick a dog that has a higher energy level than you do. Otheriwse you're going to have to up your game to stay in charge! Sammi is a purebred German Shepherd who's not terribly ambitious, but has it when she needs it. I suggest reading the history of the breed. You will find that they can adapt easily to any situation. Of those on the list you posted, a GSD would, in my opinion, be the best fit. By the way, they are near the top of the list of dogs that the general public thinks of as viscious. That's mainly because of the role they often fill with the military and police. But they have to be trained to be agressive, and after a bite session, will play with the person they just "attacked". They are very intelligent...right behind Border Collies and Poodles, (I know...Poodles? Go figure!), and can be taught to regulate their level of play with a word from you.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 9:35pm PST 
Hey...us poodles rock!!! happy dance
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 9:51am PST 
I agree Toto, Poodles do rock! Should I add them to my list? laugh out loud

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Are any of the breeds mentioned so far prone to SA?
[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 11:27am PST 
for energy level, that's the breed.

the "off switch"? that's training. ANY dog, given the right amount of time and dedication from the owners, will be well-behaved in the house.

if you haven't got the time or the ability to manage that, then i'd skip picking by breed entirely and just head over to a rescue and look at dogs. older dogs, 3yrs +, will get you past the puppy yayas and you'll have a good idea of their personality already. choose a shelter/rescue that uses the foster home system - the dogs are more stable, less neurotic, and you will have a clear picture of their true personality from the foster parents.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 1:02pm PST 
For some reason, I agree with Totowink
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 3:07pm PST 
Some breeds will be more inclined to be very active indoors regardless of training which is why I mentioned that I'd like a suggestion of breeds known for having an "off switch" indoors. confused I'm not opposed to another rescue dog or a shelter pup, but that's not what I asked, but thanks anyways.

Still wondering about Poodles. Guess I'll look into them some more.

Edited by author Sat Sep 28, '13 3:16pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 4:32pm PST 
I LOVE my poodles, and the mini's are best, I think, just because of size.
BUT, there are way too many nasty, unhealthy, ill tempered poodles out there so you really do need to get a good breeder who does health checks and does something with the dogs other than just breed them.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 5:05pm PST 
Thanks for the info Toto! It's really sad when people breed for money or just because and end up producing ill tempered or unhealthy dogs. frown Poodle mixes seem to be really popular where I live and most of them that I've met were really high strung and HYPER and the little ones where nasty little things! But I've seen a few Standard Poodles at a few dog events I've been to and they were totally calm and gorgeous! cloud 9

Edited by author Sat Sep 28, '13 5:07pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3