GO!

Keep finding super mixed info: Vizsla vs GSP

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 8:30pm PST 
I keep getting contradictory information. Some people say GSPs are more forgiving than vizslas and are softer and while intense... less... 'wacky' about their intensities and are more *solid* dogs and then I hear the complete opposite and how much less nervy vizslas are and whatever else.

I'm talking about one of these dogs in a 'normal' home where they won't be out on the field, just doing obedience hopefully at a competition level and some fun sports.

Can people without too much bias on these two dogs please give me the run down of their differences?

ETA: Maybe 'softer' isn't the right word BOL, but hopedfully you all get what I'm going for

Edited by author Sun Sep 8, '13 8:43pm PST

[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 12:18am PST 
This is my experience based on the ones who have come through training. Definitely not super into either breed, but have worked with both breeds.

Both are high energy.

Vizslas tend to be more outgoing and friendly, where as GSP tend to be more reserved.

GSP tend to be more "soft", where as vizslas are more "hard" acting. This means in general vizslas are more forgiving and not as fearful.

Both tend towards anxiety. Vizslas show this in a hyper run around and be noisy way. GSPs show this by being reserved (once again).

As far as training, Vizslas seemed to pick it up faster.

Once again, this is *in general*. I have worked with more GSPs than Vizslas. If I were to pick a breed I would go with a Vizsla just because the ones who came through were less of scaredy cats, although they have had much higher energy. dog
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:00pm PST 
In my experience they are nearly one in the same. Psycho energy, both live to WORK.

Both are prone to being fractious, soft and unforgiving. GSP's learn faster not because the Visla is stubborn, but because they tend to be less inclined to please handler. Both breeds need early and extensive training or they will grow to satisfy their own drives with zero compliance.

I'm seeing soooo many in rescue because people just don't understand the sheer magnitude of work, dedication and patience it takes to raise most any bird dog.

On a scale of 1-10 they are both easily up there at a solid 8/9 because their is no bench/field split.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:17pm PST 
I will add, most of either breed will not be satisfied just doing obedience work. Those well bred will have an off switch, but to be balanced they will have to have an outlet to release their breeds inherent drives (nose work).

If you absolutely insist on having one or the other and cannot meet that need please consider adopting an adult rescue who's temperament and drives are already well established to the lower level you're after.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:20pm PST 
I will let her know, thank you =)

And Trigger, I PMed you!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:27pm PST 
I will add, most of either breed will not be satisfied just doing obedience work. Those well bred will have an off switch, but to be balanced they will have to have an outlet to release their breeds inherent drives (nose work).

If you absolutely insist on having one or the other and cannot meet that need please consider adopting an adult rescue who's temperament and drives are already well established to the lower level you're after.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:27pm PST 
In my experience they are nearly one in the same. Psycho energy, both live to WORK.

Both are prone to being fractious, soft and unforgiving. GSP's learn faster not because the Visla is stubborn, but because they tend to be less inclined to please handler. Both breeds need early and extensive training or they will grow to satisfy their own drives with zero compliance.

I'm seeing soooo many in rescue because people just don't understand the sheer magnitude of work, dedication and patience it takes to raise most any bird dog.

On a scale of 1-10 they are both easily up there at a solid 8/9 because their is no bench/field split.
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 7:12pm PST 
I can't speak for the GSP, but I can speak for the vizsla, as I own two. One is a well bred, almost 15 years old now, and the other is a rescue, about 7 years now. This is an active breed which needs a commitment to physical and mental stimulation, without which they will re-decorate your house, to say the least. I would suggest going through vizsla rescue, letting them know what activities you plan to do with the dog, then waiting until they get one into rescue which they think would be a good fit for your family. Although a sensitive breed in general, a poorly bred one can trend towards being hyper sensitive and neurotic.
[notify]