GO!

Extensive List of Worst Puppies for Newbies

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 11:22am PST 
Weird coincidence; I'd barely even heard of the Caucasian Ovcharka until this thread. I got curious and looked up pictures and I'm convinced one of the pups that attended Lupi's obedience class on Wednesday is a CO. It's a drop-in class, so I hope I see him again to find out for sure. He seemed well-behaved, but not interested in the other dogs or people. Still young though-around a year old I'd guess.

Also Ember, it's true about people not being as diligent about training their little dogs. Lupi attends advanced obedience classes, on a drop-in basis, and we've NEVER seen another small dog there. In basic OB, yes, but not the higher levels. Not that a person has to attend formal obedience classes with their dog, but it is interesting that those who choose to seem to be all medium/large-breed owners.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 12:25pm PST 
Looked up the Caucasian Ovcharka... I would love the opportunity to work with one somewhere down the line, after I've had more experience with larger spitz breeds. I hope I never feel the need to have an intense protection dog, so it's probably not the breed for me... but I'd still love to work with one... *_*

Shibas can be really frustrating for first time owners. Really independent, really destructive when allowed to be bored, and even with training can never be reliable off-leash. The on-going socialization needed to prevent them from becoming overly protective is super important.

Catahoulas can be bad for first time dog owners, they require a lot of work as pups and really need a job to do as adults.

Canaan dogs can be difficult to train and have a very independent mindset.

@Lupi - Yessss, so many people are way too relaxed about training their small dogs. It IS nice they you can wrangle a small dog easier than a large one, but training is also for the benefit of your dogs mental health.

@Ember - Agreed, huskies are for people who aren't expecting every dog to have the handler focus of a border collie. XD
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 1:23pm PST 
I know exactly what you guys mean! I took Jewel to a competitive OB seminar and the next smallest dog was a sheltie. Here's Jewel doing a stay with them, she just looks silly on the end there.

seminar
[notify]

Lupi

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 2:08pm PST 
Lol Jewel! That picture is hilarious and reminds me exactly of our classes!
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 4:51pm PST 
Jewel, I love that picture. applause
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 6:04pm PST 
That looked like Nicky's class! He was the only dog under 40#'s and it was a class of ~10 or so. It was mostly GSDs.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 1:32am PST 
I don't think any puppy is good for a newbie laugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 10:39am PST 
I think for some newbies no puppy is a good choice, but certainly not for all. Some people just have unrealistic expectations of a two month old dog and forget that they're babies with no idea what you expect from them. Most of those people would be better off with an adult dog to learn on. But I don't think it's fair to say no first time dog owner should get any breed of puppy because some people have enough common sense and commitment to make it work just fine with a compatible breed.

I completely agree with Dr. Watson's list on the first page for groups/types of dogs that the majority of first time owners should avoid. Huskies are really popular where I live and many of the people who get them have no idea how to meet their needs (especially given the very hot climate). Some end up in shelters, some are just regulated to a tie in the backyard for the rest of their lives. Also see a wide variety of gundogs in the same boat. And of course tons of adolescent GSDs. There are 3 GSD rescues in my area which are always overflowing, and most of the dogs in the basic OB class I did with Onyx were "aggressive" GSDs. Although the scariest dog I saw in that class was a huge, intact, male Akita. THAT is definitely a breed first timers (and some people in general) should avoid.

The advanced OB class I go to has the same dynamic as Lupi, Jewel, and Nicky where it's all big dogs (mostly GSDs) and one little. The little is a Yorkie and I would actually be inclined to include them on the list of not-so-great-for-beginners-dogs. I've known more Yorkies that are DA and/or HA than any other breed, and they don't strike me as at all easily trained. I'm impressed by what the owner of the Yorkie in my class can get hers to do because I know how much work it took to get to that point.
Yorkie with some of the big dogs
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Sep 1, '13 11:06am PST 
Shelties are barkity barkirty barkity bark, but they are OB winners. Another downside is that they can herd. That's why I wouldn't recommend them necessarily, and certainly now from working lines. However I have known one that made a wonderful dog for a little girl with cerebral palsy and another for a cat person, who I admit, trained her. I admit, it's hard to pick a herder -- Cattle Dogs, BCs, Kelpies are definitely out. That's why I did suggest the Collie.
[notify]
Lupi

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 7:36am PST 
Not sure about the Sheltie either. They can be pretty shy. And yes, the barking.

Onyx, that picture is great!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4