GO!

Extensive List of Worst Puppies for Newbies

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 2:53pm PST 
Well let's have at it!

Let's make an extensive list of why certain breeds of puppies are not so good for newbies and exactly why. (Bad adolescence included this time.) Let's include all the things the list left out. Let's include every breed we can think of, no matter how rare!
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 3:39pm PST 
Shiba Inu
Akita Inu
Chow
and other "Asian" breeds, due to their challenging temperament. Not breeds that a novice dog owner should try as their first.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 5:30pm PST 
How about:
King Shepherds
Rotties
Akitas
Malamutes
Huskies
Basenjis
Border Collies
Pit-Bull Types
American Bull Dogs
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 7:10am PST 
You all are coming up with good answers. I think most of the Spitz, offhand, Livestock Guardian Breeds, most of the Mastiffs, the harder herders, the "versatile" gundogs, a lot of the working breeds would all be difficult for first timers.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 9:15am PST 
I want to add in the types that some people confuse with toy dogs.

Because of their small stature, Jack Russell Terriers and Miniature Dachshunds for example, are sometimes considered "easy" dogs by uneducated first-time owners. They aren't the most difficult or dangerous breeds out there, but they are high-energy, prey-driven, independent dogs that CAN get into a lot of trouble if not trained and socialized properly. Unwanted behaviors in these smaller terrier types tend to be more nuisance-related rather than outright harmful, but can be deadly for the dog if they end up in a shelter.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 9:15am PST 
What about the Ovcharka! eek

Someone on another forum I was on has just got an 8 week old pup of this breed. They have no prior knowledge of the breed, had never even heard of the breed before they was offered their puppy at a "discount" price from a sire and dam of only a year old!

*Sigh*

Hopefully they will end up with a great dog, but they sure have taken a huge risk. Not something I'd be happy to do with this breed knowing what I know and have heard about them before.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 9:18am PST 
English bulldog. Massive list of health problems, short lived, and expensive.

Siberian Husky and other sled dog breeds.

Field-bred Labrador.

Edited by author Wed Aug 28, '13 9:19am PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 11:23am PST 
Definitely not a German Shepherd. I see way too many people who don't do the research on their long, trying adolescent period, and end up dumping the dog around a year old. Worse, they label them as aggressive, stubborn, stupid, dominant...which reduces their chances for adoption.
Wiley, my gsd mix, was returned twice for aggression!! When I asked about his issues, the shelter staff described perfectly normal puppy gsd stuff. When I said as much, you could see the staff relax. I was his third and final home at 9 months old. He is pretty much bomb-proof today. Except when he sees a squirrel. laugh out loud
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 12:17pm PST 
Oh definitely the CO, I think most of the LGD are a handful. And good point about the dachshund. What do you all think is a suitable terrier?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 2:24pm PST 
I agree with the LGD breeds- I'd say they're definitely not for beginners.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4