GO!

Omg... seriously?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 9:13am PST 
Small rant...

I'm really sick of all this, "I got a DNA test for my dog... blah blah blah." For some reason at the end of classes I always get asked, "What kind of dog do you think Fido is?" So I give my best guess and then they're all like, "But our genetics testing said this!!!" And then I get scoffed at because I didn't call their 95% Rottweiler mix part *maltese*. Seriously. Someone acted like I was a fool because I didn't get the maltese part for their 100lb dog that most people would peg for a purebred aside for a few minor things that could even just be the result of bad breeding. "No, no. You're wrong. He's part rottweiler, german shepherd, and maltese!!!"

Ugggggh. It's everywhere I go!!! Why do people bother asking if they're going to look at me like an idiot for not calling their bull mastiff mix part chihuahua?

ETA:
Hahah! I decided to go look at one of the DNA test's websites and look at one of their reasons to check/what you'll get out of it:

"Designer dog: certification that your dog is a true 50/50 hybrid of two purebred parents"

Edited by author Thu Jul 25, '13 9:15am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 9:51am PST 
nuts.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 1:43pm PST 
I did one of the those DNA tests on Bunny. It actually came out somewhat sensible.. except for almost 50 percent Pug!shock The rest makes sense, Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, Chow and Pomeranian. Although the last ones are believable, I certainly don't take any of it for gospelwink
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 3:28pm PST 
Sounds like this is a game you can't win. It's weighted from the beginning.

Perhaps it's time to find a way not to play. Maybe just smile and say "I'd love to hear what the test said," instead of giving them the satisfaction of not guessing the 5% domestic shorthair cat DNA that ended up in their dog's report.
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 4:25pm PST 
The best part is when they're convinced their mutt is a mix of super rare breeds, too.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 8:03pm PST 
I always thought the DNA tests were silly. I don't care what my dog is, he's a good dog that loves to play AND cuddle, that's all I care about. Well... of course there's more I care about, but what breeds are in him is not one of them. laugh out loud
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 8:33pm PST 
Haha! I'm tempted if I ever have the extra money lying around to get a DNA test for Nix, since I know for a fact that he's purebred. It would be funny to see it come back saying he's a mix of many different things with no Border Collie to speak of. lol wink

Ava's results of 75% Westie convinced me enough that DNA tests are just a load of horse poo anyways. The rest of her results, if I remember right, were traces of Siberian Husky, Belgian Tervuren, Bulldog!?, and Akita of all things. confused

Edited by author Thu Jul 25, '13 8:34pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 5:08am PST 
I like the response Iris gave, as soon as they mention that they had a DNA test, before they can get another word out tell them you would love to hear the results. There really is no way to win.

Ava & Nix- I too have had that thought having 2 full-blooded Akitas. I would also love to see what they come up with and if the test even had them as the same breed. I know when people on the street try to guess they guess Kai to be Husky/GSD and Mika to be chow/pitbull.
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 7:02am PST 
I had the vets do this with Samoa. He was a big wooly puppy and they were all over him...He is a Newfie, he is a Swiss Mountain dog and etc.

When I said I thought that was unlikely because of the rarity around here of those breeds one of them said "Well, it only takes one" which is correct, but still doesn't make it likely.

Samoa is what I would call a gumbo dog. And a very lovable one.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 10:28am PST 
I work at a vet's . When the blood test first came out we did it to see what kind of results would come out of it and if it was worth marketing.

needless to say the test told me that my 80+lb hairy dog was a cavalier/dalmatian/shar pei/bloodhound with a touch of flat coat and lab. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3