GO!

Breed Suggestions?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 6:39pm PST 
I think a whippet might be a good choice. They have short coats, r Velcro dogs, they r calm in the house but active outside.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 6:59pm PST 
I would suggest a Smooth Collie. From my research, Rough and Smooth Collies are basically the same breed, one just has a shorter coat. I really like my Collie's personality, she's goofy, acts like a clown, and is really bonded to me. I think the Smooth would be good to look into in rescue.
[notify]
Hades

Hades, Lord of- the- Underdogworld

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 8:00am PST 
@Sandy Thank you! We are pretty set on owning a retired racing greyhound at some point. I know there are a lot of similarities between whippets and greyhounds, do you know of any big differences in the breeds? (aside from the size)

@Natasha thanks. We are pretty certain that Smooth Collies are one of the breeds we want to research further. I do love the look of Rough Collies but darn it if they aren't one of the fluffiest big dogs I've ever seen. I just can't handle the fluff lol.
[notify]

Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 1:37pm PST 
Whippets are more of a Velcro dog and they are also really interested in being trained and having fun like u suggested u wanted. Whippets are great at agility and lure courseing. Rescue greyhounds make wonderful pets but are very laid back both in and outside while whippets are laid back inside and fun outside. For example my neighbor has 3 rescue greyhounds inside they lay on dog beds and the couch and outside they lay in the grass in the sun. Whippets will be sleeping with u on the couch and then if u grab the leash they jump up and run to the door.
[notify]
Amber

All the world's- a playground!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 10:05pm PST 
Here's another vote for a Collie. Like Natasha, I also read that smooth and rough coated Collies have the same temperament.

Amber is my first Collie. She is gentle, very intelligent, loves people (children very much) and dogs (males or females). No harsh training allowed. Outside, she loves to fetch and go for walks and when she comes in, she's a couch potato. Very good watchdog in the sense that she is alert to the slightest sound and barks to let you know. Won't let a stranger touch her (she moves away) until I tell her it's OK. Light on her feet, she can run through the house, around the furniture and not knock down anything.

Amber is not a big Collie, nor is she "fluffy". I'm told she's like an older version of Collies and I think her size and coat is very much like the Collie in the "Lassie Come Home" movie of the 1940's.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Collie.

Edited by author Thu Jul 25, '13 10:10pm PST

Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 4:08am PST 
I have a rough collie with pretty similar criteria! Playful, trainable, cooperative, dog social, (a bit reserved towards unfamiliar people but is fine if no one bullies her), but not so active and guarding as my first favourite breed the Belgian shepherds.

Alva is mostly European lines (she does have an American import in her pedigree, but it is her grand grand grand father) and thus smaller than AKC collies. I don't know if the coat is different because the only American line collie I've seen was neutered and you know what it does to this kind of coat... His coat was very very thick and enormous. I also don't know hom much their temperaments vary across the Atlantic.

But there is this smooth variety so people who want less hair have an option too. When it is rainy and muddy, I wish I would have ended up with a smooth, lol.
[notify]
Hades

Hades, Lord of- the- Underdogworld

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 7:03pm PST 
The consensus so far has been that a Smooth Collie could be a really great dog for us. Some people on the other forum I post on agree.

Thanks everyone with suggestions so far. If anyone has more feel free to keep them coming.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 7:19pm PST 
I know quite a few Dobe and Dane breeders if you wanted to explore them.. I've talked with them and have had great experiences, they also frequent their breed forums and are highly respected.. So if you're looking at those breeds join DOL or DT for a wealth of info.

These two breeds unfortunately do have many health problems.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2