GO!

GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 12:05pm PST 
There are certainly plenty out there. You should not give up too soon. Frustration and disappointments can be a part of the process rainbow
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Mar 29, '14 5:16am PST 
A Hovawart fits all those requirements, Sabi! wink haha, just sayin'
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 7:09am PST 
Tyler may have a point, Sabi wink http://www.hovawartclub.org/kennels.html take note , 2 breeders in Quebec smile
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 7:44am PST 
(snip)A Hovawart fits all those requirements, Sabi! wink haha, just sayin'(snip)

BOL, all the requirements but the last one, "must be a German Shepherd dog"
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 8:41am PST 
Yup...that last one is the loo loo. There is no substitute for GSD character....it's the von Stephanitz genius. So you can't really sub it. Best off saying "well, that's that" and doing something different. You aren't going to get that mix.Part of it is intangible, but the part that ain't is that you have that protection nature with a comparatively high social center, and that ultra high trainability and versatility. I am glad I went with Giants (no, am not recommending, lol) Very different. That's more what you'd need to do, or else all you are doing is sighing that it's not a GSD...like a Belgian. Ain't no GSD. Giants don't pretend to be. Farm dogs, have enough vigor to knock a bull over and are stubborn like one too, like to be a nuisance and are larger than life. Just different.

Breed I most know to actually satisfy GSD crossovers have been American Bulldogs, surprisingly. Not recommending them, either, lol, but they have a ginormous handler bond many feel hits closest to home, all the versatility, etc.

I still wouldn't give up, though. If it has to be one, then it can be. Looking for a breeder can be frustrating. It's just something you sometimes go through.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 9:43am PST 
Yeah, it's hard to get past a breed sometimes when your heart is set on them. No comparison if that's what you know, love and desire.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 9:52am PST 
I think with some breeds, it's a little easier and with others harder. A bit like Scottish Terriers...tons of terriers out there of that size, some are related. But that personality...only the one wink

ETA that nothing is wrong with switching, though! You can say you need health test *this* and then your new dog gets *that* or decide you need pedigree *that* and by the time you get it, it has shifted. Trust me....been there laugh out loud

So sometimes you think about the function you want and then go for something else. Really different, then you are not moping it is "not a GSD." There is plenty out there that is not a GSD, but they never let you think that in the first place. I love my Giants. I miss the old days with the GSDs, but hearing the familiar tales from others still on them....have never had second thoughts.

I wouldn't rule out any pedigree, GSD wise. Why limit yourself? If you are finding someone doing what you want and it is a purebred GSD, good enough. Or, you could consider rescuing again. Get on this breed and health is a risk....PERIOD. So what the heck wink

Edited by author Sun Mar 30, '14 9:58am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 9:58am PST 
Tyler, they are a breed I have long admired. But as Tiller said there is no substitute.
I have also looked at Giants, and Bouvs and BRT's. But at the end of the day, the heart wants what it wants. I look at Sabs picture, keeping watch by the door and I can't imagine having anything else.
I also need to remember that with little miss Shadow, I may very well be stuck with a crate and rotate situation so I can't risk anything 'harder then a GSD.
[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 7:32pm PST 
I haven't been on dogster at all lately but popped on and happened to see your post Sabi. I don't know if they've been mentioned yet or if you've looked at her, but I was referred to Connie by someone off here and just as a helpful person and breeder so far she's been fantastic. Spoke with her mid last year, then just again recently and she has a litter coming out of Isabelle in 8 weeks? now i think, that i'm getting a puppy from. Just thought i'd add my vote smile Good luck!!

http://spartanville.com/intro1.html
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '14 11:09am PST 
Dante, wave ! Good to see you again.

I had been referred to them by another Dogster.

Some new developments though, Granville contacted me the other day. She has a clear breeding happening, maybe. In the fall. New bitch that she has had only a short while.
However, I checked out another kennel this weekend and stumbled across a West German WL bitch who leaped off the screen at me. I said I didn't like the West, but this beautiful girl calls to me. By the time I was done checking her out, I was in tears. This is the one I was waiting for. The ancient wisdom is there in her eyes. She is apparently a great 'pet', with a sweet comical nature and an unstoppable protective nature toward her family. In looks she is Sabi all over. Working titles, and a proven producer.
I have a call set up this week. For a pup from this one I will wait as long as I have to.
It is always something in the eyes, I did it with the horses to. I can't really describe it, I don't understand it. I is a blend of wisdom and peacefulness and strength, with something else. It's like they 'speak' to some part of me. People don't have it, neither do cats laugh out loudIt's just something that I see.
Tiller, you can answer this, I have no doubt. I always assumed Sabi was your basic, washed out, ASL breeding. But on at least 3 occasions, people who should know commented that she was 'old European military lines' or 'Eastern European lines'. I don't know what that means. She always reminded me of the typical, 'old fashioned' BYB dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7