GO!

GSD Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 7: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 6:50am PST 
Yes, I had heard that you get some of these bad comments from some dog clubs. I guess they forgot that the best scoring schutzhund dog in trials (in the 80's) came from a border collie mix that Doug Deacon trained. If you have a good strong temperament dog and good trainers to help you, anyone can get a schutzhund degree. It does not matter where the dog comes from. I haven't trained for twenty years so it is sad to hear that you had this bad experience.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 7:59am PST 
It is sad Seela and it turns people away from a sport instead of drawing them in. I was really interested in it, not anymore. I figure if those are the kind of people I will have to deal with, no thanks.
I am really happy with the breeder Tiller found me I just don't understand what in the world is happening in this countryfrown
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 9:15am PST 
With this breed? It is any country really. Worse in this country because Germany sends us their crap. I think what we have been saying of Bullinger, it is not like she doesn't have the connections, and she has brought dogs in from some pretty novel countries through the years in the quest to get the best, but it has really come to the point of looking under rocks for something at this point.

West Coast German Shepherds does the testing. They also have maintained a Kirschental line, and that's high desirability IMO because few had been maintaining that comprehensive GSD like Fuller, who raised his dogs on sheep and was pretty hardline, if they didn't work sheep well he didn't move forward. That was very von Stephanitz-ish. But they sell for crazy prices and some males they use have extremes.

I think you are on a good track with the loop you are in. I can dig for more, but the people you are hooked into are really into multiple venues, which I think really taps into that adaptability and versatility you are going for. There is this line about the breed, that it may not be a breed who does any one thing the best, but no other breed does so many things so well. That's the GSD and I feel what von Stephanitz wanted. You don't get the crackhead Malinois type vibe which can be like harnessing lightning, but you get a dog who can do anything, anywhere, any time, part of which is a dog who can be a lovely pet but turn on the juice when you need to. I wish Valiantdale did the DM testing for you. That's the old school GSD right there. I know Kathy was not only putting on the Schutzhund title, but advanced AKC OB at the same time. Can a dog get a BH *and* a UDX at the same time? Her Icon was insane. She was this little, biddy kennel and he was the top performance sire in this country back when everyone was starting to import like nuts. Her dogs are outstanding, but getting this breed you lose you mind looking for type, temperament, health and working ability all in one dog.

Schutzhund people can be ridiculously egotistical, and I catch that vibe, too. I harbor a childish fantasy of going with a show line dog, lying about his pedigree, and then unveiling the farce at some point to crash their reality and let them have a heart attack laugh out loud
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 11:22am PST 
Tiller it may be childish but I share your fantasy. I would love to take one of my rescues and do the same thing. laugh out loud
I am happy with what you came up with, I see no point in digging further. I share the view that a well bred GSD should be an everything dog. No breed has proven more versatile(except maybe the Spoodle) and I love that versatility. That this bitch does Lure Coursing? That just blew me away. She has the confirmation title but she is so much more and I love that. I love that the breeder is pro rescue, I love that she veers off mainstream to do agility, dock-diving, etc. She not only challenges her dogs but herself as well. And they are pets first, her hiking buddies, her popcorn and movies pals. She isn't about the prestige or the ego, she is about the dogs. I love that. I love that the first line of her initial response was 'I'm so sorry you are losing your girl to DM, I lost a dog to a spinal disorder and it is terrible to watch.' She didn't read I want a puppy, she didn't read I want to give you money, she didn't read I want a new dog. She read, I am losing my best friend and I'm heartbroken. That speaks volumes to me.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '14 10:02am PST 
Can we start again? The bitch that was so appealing to me is being spayed and retired from breeding and I truly don't find her other dogs to have what I want. A few of the leads I have gotten, Weberhaus, Narnia? Anyone know anything about them? I am still in contact with Granville and she is looking with me.

It's something in the eyes that draws me in, regardless of looks or color. It's that spark of mischief, that wisdom that shines through even in photos. If you've seen it you know what I mean. I wasn't crazy about the bitch at Granville until I looked at the facebook photos, and there it was. Now I'm sad she won't be bred again.

I want a medium drive, solid structure, steady nerves, and great temperament. I like bigger but not huge. Darker dogs appeal to me, I like the rich colors more commonly found in the import lines.
I want a dog with the potential to work, but primarily a companion. I don't care about showing or sports. If a title is a breeder requirement, I'll do it.
Price is not really a factor but I can't spend $4500 on a pup. I will travel if I need to to get the right pup.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 10:52am PST 
Never mind. I am not getting a pup. I have decided that it is not meant to be. Of the breeders that I contacted 2 flat out refused, they don't sell to 'pet' homes, 1 told me I should be looking at ASL for what I want, 1 told me they don't sell to Canada????? 1 told me they had never heard of DMsilenced and and 2 told me there where lots of shelter mutts for 'people' like me.

I'm done. Apparently I am the worst possible home and should stick to houseplants.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 11:06am PST 
hughughughughughughughug

The right pup will find you one day, Sabi.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 5:44pm PST 
Whaaaaat.

Sabi, mind PMing me some of those names? I'm dead curious.

I still feel like there are breeders out there for you. Getting discouraged and giving up the search only serves them... you gotta serve yourself, and find that perfect pup.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 3:17am PST 
This is the only kennel I will mention publicly and only as a warning.

I contacted Crosshill Kennels on a recommendation, they are a Canadian kennel which would have saved me a bit of a headache. However when I inquired about DM testing this was the response I got

We have never had this problem or heard of it .
30 years of breeding.

My wife is a vet tech . And
If one insisted I could test for it I guess.

I don't know what they're breeding then. And while the last sentence is promising, the rest is just baffling.

Note that I have been explicitly clear with every one I contacted (prices from 1500-4500) I will pay what I need to pay, travel where I need to travel and IF titling was required I would be willing, within reason, and wait as long as necessary. All I wanted was the RIGHT pup. I have vet references, personal references, Sabi's work record, recommendations from 2 k-9 officers and employment references. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I COULD GIVE THEM!

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '14 3:21am PST

[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 8:56am PST 
Coming out of lurk mode for a moment to post this kennel: vom haus Vianden.

Somebody recommended this breeder to me a while back, and I really liked the looks of her breeding program. Not breeding for ‘extreme’ sport or show dogs, tests for DM, has trained and titled multiple generations of dogs from her own breedings. I ultimately settled on another breeder, so no personal experience with this one, but she looks worth checking out further.

Also sending good thoughts your way! hug Wading through breeders is…daunting. I’ve spent the last 3 years (no joke!) looking.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 7: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7